Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

What will i do with 10hrs. of connection time @Cairo Airport????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2011, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am travelling from JFK,NY to Cairo and a connection flight to my destination, but the connection time is 10 hrs. is there a Hotel within the airport area that i can stay without a need for a visa, the ticket is much worthy if i know hw i can survive 10 hrs there
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 06:07 AM

You will need a visa to leave the airport - but they are only $15 and quick and easy to get.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

i am not travelling with a US visa but i have a green card
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

i dont have a Us passport, so can i still get the visa at the airport?
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 07:07 AM

What kind of passport do you have?
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 07:31 AM

You've gotta have some sort of passport. What country? While Visa price is inexpensive, go to the Egypt Tourism site to determine what Visa cost might be associated with the passport under which you are traveling.

Regardless, whether fee same or more, if leaving the airport you need a Visa and yes, there are nearby hotels for a few hours to chill.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

i have an Ethiopian passport, if i have to get a visa from the Egypt Embassy in D.C., it takes more than 3-4 weeks to process it, i think going out of the airport is impossible. i wanted to know if anybody has been to the airport and their experience
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 03:37 PM

Belay

Have a look at the website for the airport

http://www.cairo-airport.com/

and you will be able to see what facilities etc are in which terminal. Check which terminal you will be flying into and out of.

10 hours is a long time to sit about in any airport, regardless of how many shops etc are in it. One time (a few years ago) we had to sit from 2am until 8am in the concourse of one of the terminals, waiting for check in to open (after flying to Cairo from Luxor). I cant remember which one it was but it was pre-renovation and it was awful. 2 of the terminals have been renovated now, and terminal 1 is small but it has a couple of places to eat, and drink and a couple of little shops (but not a lot to do there), there are parts in the bar area that you can smoke (if you are a smoker).

The bigger terminal (terminal 3) has a lot more space to wander around in to kill time, and has smoking rooms if you are a smoker. (although be advised, there is no extractor fans in them and the air is enough to put you off smoking

My DH once met a rather butch Egyptian Transvestite in there once and that entertained him no end. She kept chatting up all the young men in there asking for a light. My DH was in there for an hour and a half! until she asked him, in a gruff voice, what he was looking at lol I've never seen him return to my side so fast. And that in itself entertained me for hours just the look on his face. She never asked him for a light!! lol

It really depends on which terminal you are flying into and which one you will transit through to, but either way 10 hours is a long time to wait.

I dont think that you will be allowed to leave the airport without a visa, in fact I am almost positive you wont be able to. But you could try at the bank kiosks inside the airport and see if you can get a visa to get out for a few hours.

Other than that, you will be a bit like Tom Hanks in the movie film "The Terminal" although they do have some restaurants and bars and as I say there are smoking rooms if you are a smoker. But there is only a certain amount of times you can wander round souvenir shops without getting fed up.

I would suggest taking a good book with you, snacks, and plenty of patience.

Good luck!

Scotsgirl