Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   URGENT: ABU SIMBEL TRAVEL ADVICE (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/urgent-abu-simbel-travel-advice-82595/)

Lee Aug 11th, 2000 11:13 AM

URGENT: ABU SIMBEL TRAVEL ADVICE

We are about to finalize plane tickets for the flights between Aswan and Abu Simbel. Unfortunately as the first flight is sold out, Egypt Air is offering us a flight that arrives in AS at 10:30 and a return to Aswan leaving at 1:05. What with the round-trip bus ride to the site (the timeframe of which I cannot find anywhere on the net), purchasing of tickets, etc. this leaves very little time to see anything. Not sure how early we have to be back to the airport to catch the flight back either. Also there is always the possiblity of the flight arriving in AS late. As we fly from Aswan to Cairo that afternoon we are limited with our return time from AS. I have tried to find out exactly when we fly to Cairo, but Trafalgar Tours is unable to give me a precise time and we fear missing that flight if we return too late to Aswan. <BR>Could anyone with experience tell us whether this timeframe is feasible? I understand that it's very hot and doesn't require more than 2 hrs but I'm thinking we'll be lucky to have 1 hour with these flights. <BR>Many thanks

Tom Aug 12th, 2000 09:59 PM

We did this 2 months ago. Originally, I had similar concerns before I left that you that you have. You should be fine with the time you have. It is really a spectacular site to see, but unlike Karnak, the tombs etc, it does not take too long to do. It is a very short bus ride to the site. Once you see the outside of Abu Simbel and take a few pixs, go inside and look at the reliefs, then visit the adjoining site you will probably find yourself waiting to leave. The bus tour people have this timed to a science. It is very hot there and you have to climb a hill. Please be sure to wear a hat, sunglasses and drag along some water.

Lee Aug 13th, 2000 07:19 AM

Many many thanks Tom!

Alice Aug 13th, 2000 08:21 AM

Lee, we've corresponded on Abu Simbel as to the kind of "off tour" trip you are taking. I think your time line is pretty much in line with getting you back to Aswan Airport to catch up with your group for the flight back to Cairo. If I were you, I would get your EgyptAir tickets from your tour guide that morning before leaving for AS. I don't see any reason why he shouldn't relinquish them to you. That way if you are unable to connect with your group, you can still make arrangements to get back to Cairo. I remember mine was an 8:30 flight to AS (with a return of probably around 11:00) and about the most you ever have is about two hours to see the sights which is adequate. I just checked my journal and the only time I can find for that day is that we arrived back at the Oasis Hotel around 5:30 pm, so by backtracking on time, I think your arrival time back at Aswan, (probably about 1:30) will work out fine. In fact my notes have me waiting 3 hours at the Aswan airport before my tour group arrived back from their trip to AS. Remember I told you I would be compiling all my notes (ie hints and suggestions on travel in Egypt)? Well, they're almost finished. I'm going to go ahead and send you what I have written so far (which is a goodly amount). You know, the more I think about it, this 10:30 flight you have may just be the one the group takes. Now wouldn't that be something. Here you have paid around US$85? and they will have paid $270. I tell you now, when they find out the difference just stand back. I simply cannot believe Trafalgar Tours (or SpringTours which is the tour company they use in Egypt) charges this much. That's the one aspect of my travel experiences I have not written about yet and I definitely intend to help anyone I can to beat the ridiculous prices these tour groups charge for side trips. Hope you can make since of all this! Ali <BR>

Karen Aug 13th, 2000 01:04 PM

I agree with the poster that said the tour companies have it down to a science. Seems like our flight left Aswan about 9:30 and were were returning about 1:30. The bus ride is short...seems like 10-20 minutes or so if I'm remembering correctly. You'll only need a couple of hours max at Abu. It's wonderful, and worth the time and price, but once you've seen the outside, walked thru the temple, and taken a few pictures, that's about it. It's HOT. Take lots of water, sunscreen and a hat. Have a great time on your trip! <BR>

jodi Sep 1st, 2000 06:48 PM

Everyone's replies are right on but also, take a flashlight. Abu is far away from Aswan and they rely on generators for their power and they are not always reliable. Also, and this is very important. Sit on the left side of the plane on the way up..no assigned seating...and you will fly right by the temples on your way in! Start looking early. it is a fabulous sight. Jodi

pam Mar 25th, 2001 06:49 PM

Does anyone have suggestions on where to leave luggage when travelling to Abu Simbel? My husban and I will be leaving Cairo at 5:30 arriving Abu Simbel at 7:50. We leave Abu at 10:55 for a Nile cruise embarking in Aswan. Are there lockers at the Abu Simbel airport, and are they safe?

Lori Mar 26th, 2001 10:03 PM

We had a similar arrangement. Our luggage stayed in Aswan. (even though we didn't change planes, the route was Cairo-Aswan-Abu Simbel, then Abu Simbel to Aswan) <BR>Our luggage was sitting in the Aswan airport when we returned, we didn't touch it and I don't know whether or not the man providing our transfer to the boat did anything or not---he may have--pint being is that you don't have to bring it with you to Abu Simbel and I wouldn't--you don't have time to mess with it. <BR> <BR>Additionally our flights were late, we didn't make our requested embarking time, but our ship was great. (Oberoi Phiale) They held the felucca tour for a half an hour while we gobbled up some lunch. So don't do like I did and worry about it the entire time you were at Abu Simbel, everything turned out fine and even if it didn't, it wasn't within my control anyways. <BR> <BR>Have a great time!

pam Mar 27th, 2001 03:38 AM

We are meeting up with the Oberoi Philae cruise ship in Aswan as well. I was a bit concerned about the transfers, thank you for your advice. <BR> <BR>We are using Gate 1 Travel for our cruise; did you use a travel agency or book directly through Oberoi properties? We decided to do all travel independently, except for our cruise; I found it hard to get in touch with Oberoi. Also, I was planning to take care of all of my own air arrangements, how did you handle this? <BR> <BR>One last thing, how was the cruise? Was the Oberoi Philae as nice as they tout on the Website? Should I plan an extra night in Luxor at the end of the cruise? <BR> <BR>I am sorry for all of the questions, but your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you again for your earlier response. <BR> <BR>Pam <BR>

Andy Poole Mar 28th, 2001 06:13 AM

Lee <BR> <BR>Everone is right - the timings work out ok. Our early flight to AS was the first of 5 that day with Egyptair and we got them all!! <BR> <BR>Remember the bit about sitting on the left side of the plane and be vigilant as it appears quickly!! <BR> <BR>Pam <BR> <BR>Re: the Oberoi Philae. superb boat - you will be spoiled for any other Nile cruiser. Look out for Ahmed the waiter cum DJ. Nothing is too much trouble for him. (hope he's on your trip) <BR> <BR> <BR>Andy

LEANNA Mar 28th, 2001 06:29 PM

Andy, thanks for your blurb on the OP. That is the ship I will be sailing on as well. Are there hair dryers in the cabins? I dont find a mention of them on the web page! Any other gossip about the boat, the cabins, the balconies etc etc!!! I leave in 19 days so Im all fidgity for info!!! :)

Andy Poole Mar 28th, 2001 11:22 PM

Leanna <BR>You're asking the wrong person about hairdriers as I'm seriously follically challenged!!!! <BR>I'm 97% certain that they are there though as it would be out of order with the standard of the rest of boat. <BR>The balconies are good but we found that we spent more time on deck than on the balcony. There is a covered area on deck which has a fine spray that keeps you cool - very civilised! <BR>You will find that the level of service is very high and the food is out of this world and the head chef is in attendance at meal times to take praise or criticism (not much of the latter). <BR>This was my first Nile cruise but my wife had done it years ago but on a different quality boat and she was very impressed. <BR>Just relax and look forward to what will be a superb trip. <BR> <BR>Andy

LEANNA Mar 29th, 2001 08:06 PM

Thanks again Andy!! Just got my tixs and all my documents today....EEEEK!!! Love the part about sitting where the spray will git me......civilized indeed!!! Thanks for all the info..only 18 more days to wait!!!!!

Andy Poole Mar 31st, 2001 11:57 PM

Leanna<BR><BR>Wish I was going with you - if you see what I mean!!!<BR><BR>I'm in the UK so Egypt is only a 5 hour flight away so I'm sure to go back one day.<BR><BR>Enjoy.<BR><BR>Andy