Updated photos from Kenya/Tanzania

Jul 29th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Updated photos from Kenya/Tanzania

I hope this works! I have updated my photos with captions and additional pictures. I still can't get the photos in order, but will continue to work on that.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePh...id=17356225109
Jul 29th, 2005, 08:34 AM

Again, what great shots. I love so many, but the one of your son in the tent/room at Lake Manyara Tree lofge giving the thumbs up - could he have a bigger grin on his face?

I am still deciding on my destination, JazzDreww. It looks like you had a fabulous time in East Africa. Can you dissuade me from choosing Zambia/southern countries? (Rocco, please disregard.) ;-)

Thanks,
Cooncat (the Cornhusker)
Jul 29th, 2005, 09:40 AM

Glad you were finally able to add the captions. Looks like most of the your photos are in order.

I loved the pics of your hike at Olmoti Crater. The scenery looked spectacular!

We also found that we really enjoyed the bird viewing in Kenya and we don't consider ourselves birders at all.

Thanks for updating your album.
Jul 29th, 2005, 12:05 PM
sandi

JazzDrew -

So glad you were able to get the Kodak program to work for you - to organize and add comments. I too found it a bit frustrating at first. Great photos and great trip for all of you. Thanks for sharing.

Jul 29th, 2005, 12:23 PM

JazzDrew,
Great collection posted. Just the kind of trip I dream of for our family. Were you ever on safari with your whole family at a younger age? We would still have about 10 and 1/2 years to catch up to you.
Jul 29th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Glad that the pictures seem to work!

Sandi - Tahnks for the comments on pictures. I have already made corrections.

Cooncat - I think I want to try Zambia next. I am interested to hear how Rocco compares his beloved Zambia with Tanzania!

Patty - We were not sure what the Olmoti hike would be. It turned out to be quite stressful for my wife. The ranger walked very fast, and we had too many clothes on. Soon the altitude got to us and we had to stop to rest halfway up the crater. But once we got to the waterfall is was wonderful. Our guide had very special treat for us as we started to descend. We stopped at a pretty site, and the ranger and maasai and our guide began to sing a wonderul Tanzanian song while I recorded with my camcorder. One of those once in a lifetime events!

We were surprised that our son took to the birds as well - THe Lake Manyara Tree Lodge had a nice bird check list and he made sure that evry bird we saw was noted.

jeorgiagirl - This was the first trip to Africa for our family. A favorite memory of mine is watching National geographic specials and Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom with my parents int he 70's. That is probaby what started this thing for me! I would certainly suggest that you take you kids when they are older - what an incredible education for a 6th grader.
Jul 31st, 2005, 07:53 AM

Wow! Those photos are amazing. What kind of camera and equipment did you use? Do you have any tips for a newbie photographer?
Jul 31st, 2005, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

gujjupun -

CAMERAS - I wanted an easy to use, high quality digital camera. I read just about everything I could on the subject and came up with what I believe to be a winner! I got a Panasonic FZ15 last spring. It cost me $350. The best thing is this amazing 12x optical zoom. And it is easy to use! It is only a 4 mp camera - but there are another couple of options (FZ 20) that is 5mp for less than $500. Here are a couple great web sites to compare cameras:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/fz15.html

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0407/04...asonicfz15.asp

I am NOT a photographer at all. My advice is to be sure to keep the camera as still as possible. I wish I had remembered a bean bag to steady the camera!
Jul 31st, 2005, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

If anyone is having trouble sleeping I just posted the start of a long trip report that goes along with these pictures

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...t=0&dirtyBit=1

Search this Thread