upcoming trip-camping safari or lodge?

Oct 15th, 2003, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

upcoming trip-camping safari or lodge?

Hello everyone. My husband and i are planning to visit Africa next month (november 2003). I am in the process of planning our trip and I was wondering if I could get answers to some of my questions...

This will be our first trip to the African continent and we are keen to do a camping safari. With so many enthusiastic postings on fodors it is difficult to get a consensus. My husband and I are avid travellers and are very keen on making this a memorable trip...

At this point im trying to determine a) where to go for the best safari experience (one country) b) whether i must use a tour company (or contact the safari people directly) c)which area to choose within the country and d) most importantly, am I too late to book since november is alomost here!

We are certified scuba divers, very keen on wildlife, adventure and photography.

Expected duration of the trip 15 days, out of which 2-3 days we'd like to spend in Egypt.

I understand everyone here has seen and experienced different parts of Africa. Will appreciate any inputs and ideas. anything.
Thanks
Aarti
Oct 16th, 2003, 03:58 AM
sandi

You sure are cutting it close, but that said -

There is some excellent diving off of Mombassa (Kenya) as well as off Dar es Salem (Tanzania). There is Mafia Is. off the latter; not sure the names of the islands off the former.

Cutting so close, I would think it would be easier to do Kenya (who are desperate for tourists) they do offer mobile safaris which can be combined with permanent camps and even lodges/hotels. Also the weather is milder in Kenya than in Southern Africa which can be hot. The only thing re weather to consider in Kenya in November is possibility of "short showers". As the name indicates, these are brief thunderstorms, maybe 1/2-hr, but they clear the air and settle the dust on the roads.

From Kenya, the flight to Cairo is quicker than from South Africa, with regular flights. And Cairo weather while hot (and dry) during the day, the evenings are cool.

Try contacting www.2afrika.com

while considered "budget" travel, from other posts they can arrange whatever you wish and accommodations above that level. They also have excellent airfares.

Search this Thread