Unbridled Travel

Aug 3rd, 2005, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Unbridled Travel

A friend and I are hoping to primarly travel around Ghana, then short sojourns to the surrounding countries. We wish to do it fairly independently and were thinking if it would be best to hire a man with a Jeep for a period of time to take us around, stop where we want; stay as long as we want. Would this be cheaper and enable us to see and absorb the real Ghana?
Ay suggestion, advice and comment gratefully accepted.
Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:44 AM

I did a similar trip in November 2000 to Cote d'Ivoire (it was relatively safe then and I visited a friend in Abidjan), Benin, Togo and Ghana. We traveled by private taxi, but basically we hired them when we needed them. They're abundant and I don't see the need for a dedicated jeep. You'll have no trouble arranging private transport.

Where do you intend to go to see the real, as opposed to faux, Ghana. Its not a touristy country, although you will see other tourists around the coastal forts, but don't worry about competing with lots of tourists.

Its a great place to visit, as is Benin. I wouldn't now venture into Cote d'Ivoire, and we didn't spend that much time in Togo to form an opinion (although we did get to the fetish market in Lome, which is a must-see: its likely one of the largest in Africa).

West Africa is fascinating.

Michael
Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:31 PM

Blueasmiles,
I agree with Micheal I think you'll find Ghana an easy place to travel.

I was there briefly on the way back from a trip to Mali. I highly recommend Malias you say you may combine it with other countries in the area.It's great to see the contrasts between English speaking and Francophone West Africa. mali is fascinatinf and Timbuktu is just the start.

There's a direct flight on Air Ghana that goes to the capital Bamako. WE had no problems in either place.
Dec 13th, 2005, 07:02 PM

I absolutely LOVE Ghana. Was there in Dec 2003/Jan 2004 and Dec 2004/Jan 2005. I just hired a driver when I got there and ended up with the same driver on both trips. I'm female and traveled alone for two weeks. Happy Travels!

Search this Thread