Unaccompanied Woman

Oct 30th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Unaccompanied Woman

I will be taking my teen age daughter to Egypt next April. We plan to dress conservatively since we are visiting friends in Cairo. I have read in several guide books that unaccompanied woman attract unwanted attention regardless of dress. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?
Oct 31st, 2004, 12:24 AM

I think you will be fine as long as you dress and act conservatively. I am married, but I go all over Cairo by myself or with other woman and have never had a problem.
Oct 31st, 2004, 03:38 AM
sandi

We spent our last day in Cairo on our own and had no problems with unwanted attention. Maybe because our last day was spent in the Bazaar and everyone wanted our business might have something to with that, but otherwise, everyone was pleasant and friendly - and offered more glasses of tea then I could ever manage in those few hours.

Our dress was cropped slacks and shirts and comfy walking shoes. You will also see many Egyptian women on the streets - some covered from head to toe, others with long skirts yet only a simple scarf covering their heads, and many even in western clothing with no head coverings. You should be fine.

Oct 31st, 2004, 09:52 AM

I had also heard this - but when we were there several years ago, it did not seem to matter - except that our very blond daughter attracted some attention and several marriage proposals. (She was 12!) Men may look or even make some comments - but it is certainly not dangerous and easily ignored. Certainly no worse than attractive young woman walking by group of men in many US cities.

Search this Thread