Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Overnight train Cairo-Luxor & Aswan -Cairo-Info Please

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 12:23 PM
Parag

I am visiting Egypt From 14th Apr.to 21st Apr.2001.I need info. on overnight trains Cairo -Luxor/Aswan & back.Is it possible to get a birth or place without reservations?

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 07:31 AM
wagih

hi my friend i want to give you all what you need to know about the trip but you have to tell me how many days you have in EGYPT and thus i can give you the best answer, by any way you can do it or to let me to reserve it to you i am a tour guid who can do it for you so i am wating for your E:MAIL wagih

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 09:41 AM
pam

You can visit this site for train schedule and pricing information: <BR> <BR>http://touregypt.net/trains.htm

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 10:45 AM
elaine

I lived in Egypt for 3 years. The trains are not the best. I would be wary of taking a train. Expect the bare bones &amp; Roaches &amp; bring your own toilet paper.<BR><BR>The airfare is not expensive from Cairo to Luxor.

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 01:00 PM
Mary

We took the train from Cairo to Luxor last August (2000). Make reservations -- seats go fast. We had to travel 2nd class, which was absolutely acceptable -- clean, comfortable. We did not have a sleeping compartment, but the seats were comfortable, the air conditioning worked great and the other riders were friendly and helpful.<BR><BR>It cost us about $20 US Dollars for the 2 of us in 2nd class. It leaves around 10 and 12:30am -- we had to take the 12:30 train. Got to Luxor about 9am. The train schedule on the website given by another poster is not accurate. Go to the train station and find out directly the times and costs.<BR><BR>Do not fear the train. There is a company called "WagonLit" I believe, which is a private company, that does overnight trains between Upper and lower Egypt, but it is MUCH more expensive -- about $100/per person each way. Dinner and breakfast is served on these trains, as well and are included in the price.<BR><BR>As stated in another post, do take your own toilet paper because the train's supply runs out EARLY in the trip and you'll be left without any to use if you need to use it during the night!<BR><BR>If you want additional info, please email me.<BR><BR>Mary