Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Ulusaba or MalaMala? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/ulusaba-or-malamala-681484/)

SaavyTraveler Feb 20th, 2007 09:00 AM

Ulusaba or MalaMala?

Hi,
This is my second trip to SSGR and South Africa. On my first trip, I visited Londolozi.

My fiance and I have decided that we want to escape to somewhere in SSGR to get married - no big production, just somewhere for the two of us.

We have discovered that MalaMala and Ulusaba both can accomodate us getting married at the lodge.

Ulusaba appears nice, however, I am concerned with the quality of game viewing there, since the land it covers isn't a large area.

Is the game viewing quality the same at both Ulusaba and MalaMala? I am expecting similar quality that I had at Londolozi last year -

Any advice will be appreciated!

Kelly

napamatt Feb 20th, 2007 11:17 AM

Mala Mala would win hands down for me. Many people on this board have been there on multiple occasions and the game viewing is definitely on a par with Londolozi. Ulusaba is a smaller property with shared traversing rights that some fodorites have suggested lead to shorter sightings as more vehicles need to be accomodated. As far as the perfect place for a wedding and honeymoon, I would recommend the Rattrays on Mala Mala camp. A wonderfully romantic camp. :d

Cheweyhead Feb 20th, 2007 02:22 PM

Mala Mala

safarinut Feb 20th, 2007 02:56 PM

This is a tough one.

I have been to both several times.

Your gameviewing will be excellent at both-I prefer Mala Mala for gameviewing and Ulusaba for luxury.

I have seen lion kills,leopards mating and even had a leopard with her two cubs on my deck at Ulusaba.The food and service is outstanding and all drinks are included-they have perfected the fine touch to spoil you(breakfast in bed, an expensive bottle of champagne to enjoy in your suite at night etc).If you choose Ulusaba ask for a river suite at Safari lodge and the Makwela suites at Rock lodge.Rangers to request will be between Jobe and Duard.

My love for Mala Mala is well known but if I were planning a wedding I would go for Ulusaba

jasher Feb 20th, 2007 03:27 PM

Hello,

Of the two you've listed I'd vote for Rattrays at Mala Mala. I've been to both Londoz and MM (actually back-to-back) and the game-viewing and guiding are definitely of the same high quality. I love Londoz but for overall game-viewing I'd give MM the edge as the reserve is larger and there tends to be a wider variety of animals seen (though Londoz is fantastic for big cats).

Another option that would work well is Singita, or returning to Londoz.

Cheers,
Julian

KayeN Feb 20th, 2007 04:24 PM

Hi Kelly

I am one of the MalaMala fans, as without doubt, the gameviewing is always fantastic. Have been to Ulusaba in July 2002, and the gameviewing was good, not fantastic, and while the rooms were nice, they were small. I do go fairly regularly to MalaMala and have small stays at Rattray's and longer stays at Main Camp, and Rattray's, of the camps I have been to in the Sabi Sands, which include Londolozi, Singita and Lion Sands Ivory Lodge, is quite easily the most beautiful rooms - if ever I married, this would be my choice!

Gameviewing is easily my most important priority, so MalaMala wins easily on that score. You don't mention the time of the year that you are planning this, but anytime of the year is good gameviewing time. I was there in January, will be returning in March and back there in December 2007.

Kind regards

Kaye

SaavyTraveler Feb 20th, 2007 04:55 PM

Wow! Thanks for all the replies so far. Trip is planned for the first half of September, which puts us into SSGR in the second week of Sept. How hot should we expect? When I was there last it was in early November and the heat was brutal during the day.

Opinions on Sable camp?

Kelly

KayeN Feb 20th, 2007 11:34 PM

Hi Kelly

I have never stayed at Sable Camp, but the idea is that it is more exclusive and no children under 16, which is the same as Rattray's. It is situated at the end of Main Camp but with its own facilities. I am very happy at Main Camp, but each trip I have gone for 3 or 4 nights to Rattray's because it is so beautiful and I love those spacious rooms. Have a look at their website at the cyberdiary gameviewing and at the moment I have a few photos in the guest gallery, I also have photos up here but probably back a bit now, so if you call KayeN up they should appear. If I was more literate in this internet stuff I could probably show you the net address, but afraid I cannot do that.

Kind regards,

Kaye

cary999 Feb 20th, 2007 11:50 PM

Our very first visit to Mala (Sep 2005) for some reason they put us up in Sable (we had booked/paid Main). Second visit, this last Sep 2006, we were in Main Camp. No significant difference between the two areas that we experienced. Sable has its own dinning area that is about one-fourth the size of main. But no big deal to us. The lounge at Main is much nicer than Sable don't you agree? (And yes, both bars charge you for soft drinks - Cokes).
As for Rattray's, well, for the cost of two nights at Rattray's I can stay three nights at Main. But, like they say. "If you've got it flaunt it baby".
regards - tom

Ericka Feb 21st, 2007 04:19 AM

Mid-September is a great time for the Sabi Sand. We were there at that time (Singita) and found the afternoons warm but nothing unbearable. Another plus is that the mornings and evenings aren't too cold. You just need a light jacket.

African_Hilton Feb 21st, 2007 04:48 AM

SaavyTraveller
I think your question has been answered - Mala Mala No question - this is your marriage we are talking about so while no big fanfare still needs to be special - Go with Rattrays - always nice to have acoule of folks in the background who "share" the moment with you too
Spring in Septenber so perfect time - depenidng on the rains new boarns may be there from the wildlife and my personal best time to go to the bush - new vegetation growth, warm days cooler but not frreezing cold nights - lovely!!
There are some awesome wedding packages and honeymoon ideas if you know where to look and who to talk to for the rest of your trip that will not cost an arm and a leg either
Where else you going when you get here ?
Hilton

ellene Feb 22nd, 2007 12:29 AM

Having stayed at sable camp, I dont feel it is worth the premium. It is several rooms within main camp, with its own pool and small lodge. We return to mala mala in the fall, and will be staying at main camp instead.

SaavyTraveler Feb 22nd, 2007 09:48 AM

So MalaMala it is... and I call to book the reservation, but they can only take us for about 4 nights during our time frame, unless we do Rattray's, which I can't justify the price for. We wanted to do a total of around 7 nights - should we jet off to somewhere else for the remaining 3 nights? Where would you suggest? Singita is too $$$ for my blood... Has anyone stayed at MalaMala for 7 nights and grew bored after the first 4 nights or so?

cary999 Feb 22nd, 2007 12:32 PM

Take a look at Kings Camp, kingscamp dott com. Just a ways up from Mala. We have not been there - yet. Good friends have been there and liked it. We have reservations for 5 nights Sep 2007. I think it would cost you $120pp to fly from Mala to KC or vice-versa. Cost of KC is way less (than Mala) so the additional airfare is easy. I'd do KC first then Mala if you have choice of dates.
Also, you know you are right next door to Kruger. You could spend a few days in Kruger, and, at about 20% of the cost of Mala.
regards - tom

napamatt Feb 22nd, 2007 02:11 PM

Bored at MM = bored of life.

cary999 Feb 22nd, 2007 03:21 PM

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT NAPAMATT
tom

KayeN Feb 23rd, 2007 04:32 AM

Hi Kelly

No - I have never been bored staying over 7 nights at MalaMala, and I have been known to stay somewhat longer! Sorry, I have just noticed that you are wondering if you will be bored after 4 nights, so no I would never be, and I would never understand anyone who was!

Kind regards,

Kaye

SaavyTraveler Feb 28th, 2007 07:19 AM

How possible is it to fly between MalaMala and another camp or two? It looks like MalaMala uses SA Express, while all of the other ones use Federal Air. Can you not hop between MalaMala and Ulusaba?

Also, Can you guy tell me which option you would choose? These options are due to the availabliity of the lodges...

1) 3 nights MalaMala Rattrays, then move to the Main Camp for 4 nights. MalaMala can not guarantee that we will have the same Ranger/Tracker during when we move over.

2) 3 nights Ulusaba, then move to MalaMala Main camp (if we are able to fly between camps)

mkhonzo Feb 28th, 2007 07:23 AM

The lodges in S/ssands are really not that far apart that you need to fly between them, however if that is your wish the camps shouldbe able to arrange that. The drive time between MM and Ulusaba is around 90 minutes, but given that you are in a reserve it could be more due to sightings en-route.

Stay with one company if you can.

napamatt Feb 28th, 2007 08:47 AM

You probably will not keep the same ranger / tracker combo. We don't but it does not spoil our enjoyment, we appreciate the different combinations and personalities.
If you stick at MM, do Main Camp first!
Charter flights between MM and Ulusaba would not be a problem, just cost $.