COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Uganda travel advisory in light of coronavirus

Old Mar 9th, 2020, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Uganda travel advisory in light of coronavirus

I posted this in the Lounge but thought it might be useful here. Not sure if we have any upcoming travel planned here on Fodors. Story here

Uganda has become the first African nation to essentially ban travelers from their country. They discourage non-essential travel by residents of Italy, Iran, South Korea, France, China, Germany, and Spain. ďAny traveler from these countries, including Ugandan nationals will be subjected to self-quarantine for 14 days on arrival to Uganda even if they do not exhibit symptoms of COVID-19." So if you're headed there on a 2 week trip, you'd essentially spend that in quarantine, regardless of whether you show symptoms. They are monitoring the virus activity in United Kingdom, Switzerland, Norway, Netherlands, Sweden, Belgium, India, and USA very closely and may add those to this list in coming weeks.
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 08:51 PM

Thanks for posting here, AmyB. Sad reading. As understandable as it is to take this step, Ugandans employed in tourism must be especially upset and scared.
Seems kind of strange that the business conference will proceed.
I wonder if other East African countries will follow suit.

Old Mar 10th, 2020, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

I would hope that Rwanda would follow suit, as I wouldn't want to risk exposing the gorillas and other primates there to this either. (And I do wonder how much of the decision was made with the Ugandan primates in mind? We were checked to see that we were not ill before doing our trek in Rwanda as they fear that human viruses and infections can be spread to the gorillas.) But I also think the African nations must realize that they're not capable of a first-world response should the coronvirus take hold there.
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 02:08 PM

Wow.
Old Mar 15th, 2020, 05:25 AM

June

Heading there in June for gorilla trek. They have no cases yet so it makes sense to me.
Old Mar 15th, 2020, 11:42 PM

Uganda is restricting incoming travel from some countries, and requiring mandatory self-quarantine from others, once you arrive. This includes USA and UK. Could this affect you?
Old Mar 15th, 2020, 11:46 PM

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-51403865

Scan down to "What about travel?" and read the last few paragraphs. Prepare to be sprayed with disinfectant!
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Kenya has two cases now and they're closing their borders. Anyone arriving will be subject to 14 day quarantine.