Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > [UGANDA] Selected Budget and MidRange Tour Operators.

[UGANDA] Selected Budget and MidRange Tour Operators.

Jun 23rd, 2014, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

[UGANDA] Selected Budget and MidRange Tour Operators.

Hello,

I'm planning a Classic tour in Uganda and I have already contacted and selected numerous local tour operators.

Now for a 9 days private tour I have some budget tour operators with offers AROUND 2,400$ and some midrange ones with offers AROUND 2,900$ both with Gorillas and Chimp permits included.

I have started the selection having a look at the reviews on the web and checking if they are or not on a Lonely Planet Guide, but now I cannot move on in the process.

Moreover, I don't know if it is better to choose the cheaper ones (since I have to keep an eye on costs) or prefer the midrange ones to avoid unpleasant surprises.

This is a list of the tour operators I selected, would you like to help me in making the right choice?

BUDGET:
Amagara
Africa's Great Exploration (AGE) Safaris.
Brovad Tours and Travel ltd
Lifetime Experience Safaris
Mountain goriilla coffee tours
Travel Explorer Africa Safari
Kazinga Tours Ltd.
Wild Excursion Safaris
1000 Shades of Green Tour
Akaro Tours

Primeugandasafaris.com

MIDRANGE:
Churchill Safaris
Destination Jungle
African Adventure Travellers
Afri Tours and Travel Limited
Nkuringo Walking Safaris
AA Safaris and Tours LTD (gorilla-safari.com)
East african safari
Great Lakes Safaris
Matoke Tours
Uganda Wildlife Scene Safaris
Stebar Safaris
Engagi
African Pearl Safaris

I hope this post, with your help, could be useful for someone else.

Thanks.

Dani
Jun 26th, 2014, 02:08 AM
Original Poster

Anyone to share his experience?
Thanks
Jul 20th, 2014, 07:10 AM

Hi, I know that you posted this thread a while ago, but I think that I can give you some information about the differences between budget and mid range safari operators in Uganda. It is important to choose an operator that is also part of AUTO (Association of Uganda Tour Operators) in order to indicate their proper licensing. Furthermore, memberships in organisations such as Uganda Conservation Fund, UCOTA, or others indicate what the companies concentrate in on ground and what values they have.

In my specific case - I travelled with Instinct Safaris (Medium, Luxury, www.instinctsafaris.com) and Gorilla Trails (Group, Budget, www.gorilla-trails.com) in the past - this helped to make sure that I was in good hands.

Another thing that I would recommend you to do in order to find out whether or not a tour is to get in touch with locals from Uganda and ask whether or not they have ever heard of the company in question. One address to contact would be the UTB (Uganda Bureau of Tourism) or AUTO itself.

Hope this helped!

Lee

Search this Thread