Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Uganda...alone? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/uganda-alone-750135/)

huladolphin Nov 23rd, 2007 06:05 PM

Uganda...alone?

Hello all,

I am strongly considering traveling to Uganda this March for 7-10 days, mainly to see the primates (gorillas and chimps). However, most likely I will be traveling alone. Now, I've traveled and lived by myself plenty (mainly in the Middle East), but I am just slightly hesitant, as a 21 year old female, at throwing myself at the mercy of a single guide in the middle of the African jungle (I've safaried Tanzania/Kenya, so I've seen some of Africa, but not alone). Honestly, am I insane?

On a related note, I will obviously be traveling with a tour company. I've been communicating with Acacia safaris? Anyone heard of them? Otherwise, any other recommendations? I'm not traveling budget, but I don't have unlimited funds.

Thanks in advance!

Laura

thit_cho Nov 24th, 2007 05:40 AM

Laura, I did a solo trip to Uganda/Rwanda in August 2003, mostly to see the gorillas, with a short safari in Queen Elizabeth NP. I traveled with Volcanoes Safaris, who I highly recommend -- they are not budget, but they offer excellent (and safe) service. I found Uganda and Rwanda to be very safe -- I wandered around by myself in Kampala and Kigali without incident or attracting undue attention (more like Cape Town or Maputo, and unlike, say Nairobi or Harare, where I felt safe, but seemed to be magnetic and attracted a lot of locals).

Michael

atravelynn Nov 24th, 2007 07:39 AM

You may also have other people in the vehicle, so you will not be all alone. That also cuts down on costs, since you mention you do not have unlimted funds.

If Acacia is a reputabale company, then your plan is not the least bit insane. I've gone alone, but shared a vehicle several times in Uganda and was all alone in Rwanda. No problems at all anywhere in Uganda or Rwanda. I am female too.

In Uganda I went with Mantana and stayed in their accommodations also. Other companies that have been used succesfully by Fodorites are Great Lakes, Volcano, R&N Explorer, and Travelust. I don't know about Acacia.

If you are going to Kibale to see the chimps, try to do the daylong viist in the forest where you see the chimps wake up, spend the day with them, then watch them make their nests again at night. When I did that, these outings were called habituation walks. They cost extra. Bradt guides stated that these habituation walks are one of the best primate experiences in the continent. I would agree.

You could have rain in March, so good raingear is a must.

If you post your entire itinerary, you can get some more suggestions.

Have a wonderful trip.

huladolphin Nov 25th, 2007 10:46 PM

Thank you both for the above recommendations! I shall look into them.

Laura

Poppins Nov 26th, 2007 04:45 AM

I also did Uganda alone, but in a vehicle with 5 others and a guide. I went with Wild Frontiers who were great. Our guide was particularly incredible and really made the trip.

Safety was not an issue at any time.

But do yourself a favour and spend some time on the step machine at gym...the walk to the gorillas was rather hectic!! Worth every step though!