Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Uganda Advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/uganda-advice-470842/)

owl Aug 29th, 2004 08:08 PM

Uganda Advice

Dear all,

We're now planning a January trip to Uganda for some gorilla trekking. Which company did you use and/or can recommend? Thank you!

thit_cho Aug 30th, 2004 11:17 AM

I went with Volcanoes Safaris in August 2003. If you click on my name, you will find my trip report on trip to Uganda and Rwanda for gorilla trekking with post-trek safari in Samburu, Kenya.

phernska Aug 30th, 2004 11:19 AM

Owl...I was in Uganda a year ago. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend the company I booked with. We (there were 6 of us) had a great trip in spite of the ineptitude of the booking agent.
Where are you planning on going besides Bwindi? We went from Entebbe to Lake Mburo to QENP to Bwindi to Kibale finally to Murchison Falls. The roads are rough and the drives are long and slow.

Not to be missed is an overnight stay at Ngamba Island in Lake Victoria, 40 minute boat ride from Entebbe. It's a sanctuary for chimps (set up by Jane Goodall and 3 other organizations)that have survived the bushmeat trade. They offer a "forest walk" with the baby chimps--what a blast that was!!

Happy planning....I'm pleased to answer any questions you might have...

owl Aug 30th, 2004 11:19 PM

Thanks for the reply. We've been to Zimbabwe, Botswana, Zambia, and Namibia. Do you think we'll find Uganda different and interesting enough? I ask this in part because the other option is to go to India and Bhutan in January. I'm leaning toward Uganda, though.

thit_cho Aug 31st, 2004 07:08 AM

I have been to India and Uganda, and since you've already been several times to Africa, I would think India would be far more interesting since it would be so different.

owl Aug 31st, 2004 08:10 AM

Thit cho,

were you not that impressed with Uganda? What would you rate it compared to your other trips? I'm curious since we've been to Thailand and Cambodia, and while we loved it there, we were a bit nostalgic for Africa. So I was thinking that I might feel the same in India and Bhutan. Thanks!

thit_cho Aug 31st, 2004 11:45 AM

I was very impressed with the gorilla trek in Bwindi, and Queen Elizabeth NP was OK, but not as good as national parks like Chobe, Etosha or South Luangwa, where I have visited and it looks like you also have visited. I didn't get to anyplace else in Uganda so I can't comment beyond the two places I visited.

India though is incredible, and is very different from Thailand and Cambodia. I have done several trips in Thailand and one in Cambodia (Siam Reap and Phnom Pehn), and it doesn't compare to India, which is completely overwhelming but incredibly rewarding and interesting. I haven't gone on safari, though, in India, but we did in Nepal (saw some rhino, no tiger), but I don't think the Indian safaris stack up to those in Africa, so it depends what you want -- safari or lots of UNESCO world heritage sites, fascinating streetlife, etc.

Uganda and India are different and it depends what you want. I like cheesecake but if that's the only desert I've had for the last few weeks, I'd want to try apple pie. So if you want something completely different consider India, but if you want an interesting, less traveled African destination, consider Uganda -- it is very interesting and can be combined with visit to Rwanda for a second gorilla trek.

Someplace in this forum is a short trip report that I wrote after my trip to Uganda/Rwanda/Kenya in August 2003, and I think I am the only frequent poster who has visited Uganda (though I could be wrong).

I am always looking for new African destinations and this year, after short safari in SA, we are visiting Madagascar and Mauritius.

You can't go wrong with Uganda.

Michael

owl Aug 31st, 2004 05:49 PM

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your helpful reply. I'll share it with my husband. I was thinking that we'd combine Uganda with Kenya or Tanzania, since we haven't been anywhere in E. Africa. Although, Southern Africa (including our 5 day bushwalk in Zambia) may have spoiled us for the crowds.

Mad is another destination I've planned, but not taken. It should be wonderful.

I'll check back to see if there are any more postings on my questions. Thanks to those who have responded so far!

mzcuriouz Sep 3rd, 2004 02:09 PM

PHEMSKA,
looked up the site about Ngamba, when did you go? do you remember how much your visit cost?

phernska Sep 4th, 2004 07:26 AM

Mzcuriouz....I was on Ngamba Island just over a year ago (August 27-28 2003). I think the overnight stay cost about $350-400 (including single supplement). If you're interested in going, you may want to contact Mantana Safaris, which has offices in Uganda and Kenya.

gonzzzo Jul 24th, 2005 11:47 AM

I was in Uganda with Great Lakes Safaris. They were fantastic. I chose them because thye were the most responsive and accommodating. Honest and reliable. Affordable. Jaynefer was my contact with the company and helped me with pre and post safari plans. Meddie was my guide and I could not have asked for a more perfect person to show me Uganda. If you are traveling alone, they will try to find a group for you to hook up with, which few companies do.

Although I have not been to India, I found Uganda the most interesting of the African countries I visited. Genuinely kind, interesting people and culture. Fewer animals than other countries, but the gorillas and the people made up for it.

Enjoy!

tuskerdave Jul 24th, 2005 12:05 PM

hi there gonzzzo, i just had a uganda gorilla & chimp safari using great lakes.
glad i went with them too. for the same reasons. also, no problems with ref. of american clients. now jaynefer and i are great friends. we e-mail, text and call all the time. i even called called my driver gerald today. the people are so great there.
i had my trip there: june 6th -june 15th. then i was off to kenya.
i am expecting to do rwanda next yr. of course using great lakes. she and great lakes reminds me so much of my tour op friend in kenya.
if you or owl need info or get in contact with me about any of this kind of thing. use this e-mail:
[email protected]
thanks, david