U.S dollar buying power in Kenya and Tanzania

Mar 1st, 2005, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

U.S dollar buying power in Kenya and Tanzania

Dear Fodors,
My fiancee and I will be traveling to Kenya and Tanzania for our honeymoon in August, 2005. It is easy to go to the internet to get exchange rates, etc. But afterwards you still have no idea what goods, food, and services cost to see exacty how far your money goes. How can we find out, not only for this trip, but for future trips as well, i.e the Carribean, Europe, etc. Thank you.
Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:42 AM
sandi

Depending on the type of trip you are booking - in most all cases while on safari, all your meals will be included. For hotels in Nairobi or Arusha, these are on B&B basis. Other meals in either city, are relatively inexpensive. The only other expensive you will have are tips, beverages, personal items, souvenirs, extra tours.

Generally, most programs are as above, except for some budget itineraries where you have to put a daily amount of money in the pot to pay for meals, services and other miscellaneous; you should be advised of this amount beforehand.

Likewise, if you are booking through a tour operator in your home country or using in-country tour operators, except for incidentals, all will have to be prepaid (or final payment on arrival).

What kind of trip are you planning?

Mar 2nd, 2005, 10:14 AM

Are you planning a safari?

I can give you an idea of costs in Kenya as we just returned from there. A private safari for the 2 of you booked through a local operator, traveling by road between parks, and staying in safari lodges starts around $200 per person per night in high season which is when you're going. That includes your accomodations, meals, vehicle, driver/guide and his accomodations/meals, park fees (which can be up to $30 per person per day) and game drives. Staying in tented camps will usually increase the cost (but is really worth it) and so will traveling by air between parks. Fares for internal flights can be found at www.airkenya.com

Your extras on safari will be beverages, tips, and optional activities like night game drives, game walks, etc. Prices for beverages at camps/lodges where they are not included in the rate are about $2-3 for sodas/beers and $15-25 for an inexpensive bottle of South African (usually) wine. Including our driver/guide and camp staff, I think we spent an average of $40 per day in gratuities for the 2 of us. We paid $45pp for a 2 hour night game drive sharing a vehicle with 4 others.

Costs in Nairobi are fairly inexpensive. We used Hilton points for our hotel but when I checked online, the rate was $80 a night for our dates. Lunch at the Hilton for 3 people was about $40. Admission for state museums like the National Museum, Blixen Museum, Railroad Museum is 200 KES per person. Internet cafes on the street charge 1 KES per minute. A local SIM card for your mobile phone is 300 KES.

Hope this helps and gives you an idea of costs.

Search this Thread