TZ: Sat phone; how to get a license

Nov 4th, 2005, 05:35 PM
bat
Original Poster

TZ: Sat phone; how to get a license

It appears that our traveling companion needs a sat phone. they are having some difficulty in getting a license. Has anyone done this? climbhigh--have you? Anyone else?

Thanks for your help.
Nov 4th, 2005, 07:02 PM

I didn't know you needed a license for a sat phone. Is this because of regulations in Tanzania or just in general (I've never rented or owned one)? What entity issues the license? I believe Eben's has taken a sat phone.
Nov 4th, 2005, 07:17 PM
bat
Original Poster

Patty:
This is what my friend's wife has told me. She has been researching TZ only.
Nov 4th, 2005, 07:25 PM

I now own my own Sat phones but used to rent from several different places.

No license required. It is probably the easiest rental you'll ever sign up for! They'll ship it right to you door and you ship it back afterwards.

Use Iridium in Tanz. Motorola 9500 works as good as the new 9505 despite being a bit bigger but it is a lot cheaper.

I've used www.Worldcell.com and they were good but are now on the expensive side.
Eben
Nov 5th, 2005, 03:16 AM
bat
Original Poster

Thanks Eben.
I'll have to ask her what made her think she needed a license--whether it was something on the embassy web site.
Nov 8th, 2005, 12:44 PM
bat
Original Poster

Thanks again climbhigh.
I passed on your info to my friend. She contacted world cell and will use them.

She had seen information on the embassy website that indicates you need a permit from the Secretary of the Tanzania Communications Commission to bring in satellite dish and telecommunications equipment. In reading it, I think they may mean if you plan to import it rather than use it while you are there.

In any event she was getting very frustrated trying to get an answer from the government. Now she thinks that I am really smart!
Nov 8th, 2005, 01:00 PM
sandi

bat -

Those rules hold true in many countries and believe that's for professional use of such equipment.... for movies, photography, television boardcasts.

A friend of mine (an actress) filming in Uganda and Rwanda, ran into all kinds of problems with only sound and video recording equipment and tapes. I got the emergency help call for direction on how to get out of the bind - thank you, don't need these headaches and wondered who had booked her trip in the first place. Was aghast when I learned who (and won't tell here, so don't ask - and it wasn't A&K or Micato, rather a major corporate TA... that's it folks!) I directed her to the AP travel department who were
able to assist her.

Your friend should be fine with a satellite phone as many bring these.

Nov 8th, 2005, 01:16 PM

Sandi
In situations like that, you turn to a someone who is know as Mr. Fixit. He knows where to spread the buck to resolve issues like that. Played rugby with the one in Kampala. He inherited it from his father. Old African tradition of survival, part of the culture. Makes barriers disappear.
Nov 8th, 2005, 01:34 PM
bat
Original Poster

sandi:
Your interpretation of who would need a license makes sense. On the same web page it indicates that you need a license to bring in filming equipment--obviously does not mean tourist's individual camcorders.
Nov 8th, 2005, 01:54 PM
sandi

luangwablondes -

I was also wondering where Mr. Fixit might be; someone to be traveling with her. No doubt she can handle herself if she were doing the "travel/tourist thing" - but I knew immediately when her personal assistant contacted me - "she had a problem."

Apparently she had been in contact with someone to arrange being able to interview local tribal people, but to run into a wall, with palms out everywhere, and no one to clear the way, with more countries to visit... well, beats me! Have to believe she'll know better in the future.

Nov 8th, 2005, 02:29 PM

If it continues to be a problem. Tell her where ever this is occurring to find an Indian owned shop. Talk to the owner. May require a couple stops,but usually they are keyed into how things operate and who to go to for those minor issues. I do this for certain problems when travelling whether in Kampala, Pemba, Moz or any East or Southern Africa places. Remember, they aren't helping for their health and expect compensation. But, it the alternatives are often more expensive and time consuming. She may also be invited to join the family for a meal. It happens many times for me. Indians are very nice people in general although I don't put the new generation of SA Indians in there.

For the bigger stuff, Its Mr. Fixit.
Nov 9th, 2005, 03:05 AM
sandi

luangwablondes -

Great ideas for future travels. At this time, she's home and all worked well once she got out of that mess.

Search this Thread