Search

Just back from Tanzania

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just back from Tanzania

We've just arrived back in the States after 2 weeks in Tanzania. Members of this board were so helpful that I would like to thank all of you for making it a most memorable experience (not just vacation). While we are sorting through the 2000 pictures (3 digital cameras - the new Panasonic DMZ5 was the best) and the 4 hours of video, I would like to share some very preliminary thoughts that might be helpful to some. A full report with pictures is promised (but will come later).

1) Do your homework. People who read this forum have a general idea of when and where the great migration will be. While nature is imprecise, it was amazing to hear from people who stayed at Klein's camp and had expected to see it there. Anyone familiar with teis forum would know that it is unlikely to be there in early June.
By the way, we did happen onto the migration near Mbuai Mawe on June 9 (a sea of wildebeasts!!!)

2) If the decision is between nicer accomodations or a longer safari, I would vote for the nice accomodations. We stayed at quite a few of the "high end" places and our safari experience was 50/50 animals/accomodations.

3) Buy binoculars for everyone. I had been so advised to do so because of this Board and was very grateful that all 4 of us had a pair (when you figure out how much binoculars are compared with the rest of the safari, the investment is minimal).

4)Learn a little kiswahili before you go. I got a bit carried away and did the entire Pimsleur course, but there was instantanoeus magnetism which devleoped as soon as I tried to converse in their language. Quite frankly, I think the belief that "everyone speaks English" is overstated.

5) Adopt a pace which is manageable. We slept in one morning at the Lake Manyara Tree Lodge and it was one of the higlights of the trip. I can't figure out why, but driving all day long tires you out.

I know that there is so much more to report but, I'm still suffering from jetlag. More later.
Howard
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 09:28 PM

Welcome back! Looking forward to the trip report and photos.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 04:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Hi cookndoc - Welcome back! From what you've written so far I believe you will have a pretty comprehensive trip report so take your time and get it all in there. But hurry up - we want to read all about it!
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 07:12 AM

Welcome back! Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip and looking forward to as detailed a trip report as you're willing to give!
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 07:55 AM

Thanks for the camera comments and looking forward to your report. Welcome back.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 08:12 AM

Cookndoc - we're dying here. Please get on that report!
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 08:36 AM

Habari gani, cookndoc.

I know you worked hard to make this a dream-come-true kind of trip for your family. Glad to hear it went well!

Welcome home.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 01:25 PM

Glad you had a great trip. Looking forward to your report.