TZ-comments on itinerary, please!

Jun 20th, 2005, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

TZ-comments on itinerary, please!

We're about to book a trip to TZ in late Feb. Know it's not the best season, but we can't travel June-October. Any comments on expected temps. and insect levels? We're considering a safari with a private vehicle so we have control over how we spend our days.

itinerary:
Fly into Nairobi at 7 p.m. after a night in Zurich. Using FF miles with AA so we can't fly into TZ. Spend night in Nairobi.

drive the next day with guide to Sinya Wildlife Conservancy arriving late afternoon for 3 nights at Kambi ya Tembo, supposedly a small luxury tented camp with views of Mt. Kil. we've read that huge bull elephants are frequently seen here. We've opted to drive to Sinya, rather than fly, as we've been told the road is tarmac and it will be an interesting ride. At Sinya, we'll gamedrive, walks with Maasai, visit local village if we choose.

From Sinya to Arusha Nat'l Park gamedriving on way to Hatari Lodge for 2 nights. Anyone stayed at Hatari Lodge?

obviously, in all the places we're staying we'll be gamedriving during the day.

from Arusha NP to Tarangire NP. Stay at Tarangire River Camp for 2 nights. Have read reports on TRC and am still a little confused about quality and whether it's in a good location in the park. Would Kikoti be better? Aware of Treetops, but prefer river ridge views to forest. Any other opinions welcome. Understand TNP not at best in Feb., but feel I can't omit it.

From Tarangire to Gibbs Farm for night, stopping at Lake Manyara NP during the day. I've read we shouldn't spend more time there.

From Gibbs to Serengeti NP, stopping at Oldupai Gorge on the way, to a Kibo private "luxury" tented camp for 3 nights. I'm hoping to see part of the wildebeast migration.

From Kibo camp to Ng. Crater, staying at Serena for 1 night. we descend the crater for an afternoon after leaving Serengetti on way to Serena Lodge. Any input on Serena v. Sopa v. crator lodge appreciated. Should we spend more time here?

After 1 night at Ng Crator, we spend our last night in Africa at the Ngorongoro Farm House to relax before the trek home. The next day we'll fly from Arusha to Nairobi, spend some time in a day room and take a midnite flight to zurich, where we spend 2 more nights.
We're alternating tenting with lodges believing we'll need a night of pampering after a couple of nights in tents. As this is a private tour, we can be flexible on where we want to stay.

Have read a little about "off roading". any input on exactly what this means and where it can be done?

A final very silly question. Will I see many spiders? mild arachnophobia here and want the truth so i can be prepared. not afraid of snakes or other insects, just an irrational, but controlable, fear of spiders.

Would love to hear from others who have done this trip in late Feb. Thanks again, fodorites.

Search this Thread