TZ and Immunizations

Aug 10th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

TZ and Immunizations

Has anyone had any trouble getting into Tanzania WITHOUT the Yellow Fever immunization? I know the typhoid immunization is also recommended for travel to TZ, but does anyone know how prevalent the disease really is? Is the immunization really necessary?

Thanks.
Aug 10th, 2007, 08:28 AM

You don't need a yellow fever vaccination for Tanzania. We didn't get them and had no problems.
Aug 10th, 2007, 11:51 AM

You don't need Yellow Fever as long as you are arriving direct from a Western country, i.e., USA, Canada, Western Europe, where these disease isn't found. If, however, arriving from elsewhere, you may very well require YF.

If, however, within a short period upon leaving Tanzania you have another trip planned to a country that may require YF, then you'd better have the YF inoculation.

The reason it's your responsibility to check entry requirements for any country you'll be visiting.

In all these years, haven't had a thypoid inoc or taken the tabs. Personal choice.

You should discuss inoculations recommended along with meds to be taken with your physician or at a travel medical clinic.
Aug 10th, 2007, 04:50 PM

Having just returned from Tanzania I am curious. No one checked our immunizations. Would they only check if we were visiting a country that required Yellow Fever shots?

I've been all over India and China and just the one trip to Tanzania and have never been asked about immunizations.

Again, just curious. And no, we didn't get Yellow Fever vaccinations.
Duane
Aug 11th, 2007, 03:49 AM

Duane -

Unless a particular inoc is required for entry to a country (and depending from where/counntry the visitor is arriving) should Immigration check whether the visitor has had the inoc... in this case YF.

For inocs such as Hep A (or B), Tetanus, Polio booster, which are recommended for travelers, for their own health while traveling, as when they are at home. I wouldn't expect Immigration to inquire about these.
Aug 11th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. I know what vaccinations are recommended, and I have an appointment with a travel clinic. However, I also believe many doctors over-prescribe meds, and I'd rather only take what is really necessary for TZ. Thanks for your input!
Aug 11th, 2007, 07:31 AM
sniktawk

It is not getting into Tanzania that is the problem, it is getting out. For instance you would not be allowed to board a flight to Joburg without a vaccination certificate
I would check with any other countries you may be going on to after Tanzania.

Aug 11th, 2007, 02:12 PM

I agree that Doctor's over prescribe. Just last week I was at the travel clinic and was told that Yellow fever was a 'no brainer' for Tanzania so I took the jab. I thought it was a questionable one but since it can be an issue for some countries and I plan to keep travelling a lot I just took the advice and the shot.