Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > TWO QUERIES: Changing $$ in Tangier? Night train to Marrakech?

TWO QUERIES: Changing $$ in Tangier? Night train to Marrakech?

Apr 29th, 2000, 08:08 PM
andres

TWO QUERIES: Changing $$ in Tangier? Night train to Marrakech?

We are traveling to Morocco in June via Spain (ferry from Algericas to Tangier). Once arriving in Tangier we plan to catch the night train to Marrakech. When/where should be change money in Tangier? General comments? Thank you!

Apr 30th, 2000, 12:12 AM
nevado

There are tons of banks/change places at the ferry terminal in Tangier. We flew from Tangier to Marrakech so I can't tell you if the train station has exchange booths, but I imagine so. If your interested in flying let me know.

Apr 30th, 2000, 03:41 PM
andres

Thanks for the information! Andres.

May 1st, 2000, 02:15 PM
elvira

There are cambions and ATMS throughout Morocco (ok so not in the Sahara, but you know what I mean).

There is a night train from Tangier to Marrakech; splurge for the 1st class (you'll pretty much have the car to yourself) as it doesn't cost a whole lot (by U.S. or European standards).

You'll love Morocco; be prepared for the poverty and the hustling (especially at the port and train stations). I recommend a guide; hire one through the tourist office or the hotel (they are licensed guides and will tell you more about the history and culture than you could possibly absorb in a lifetime). You can eat the food; we drank bottled water for our two weeks, and my sister drank tap water on the last day with no ill effects. You can get beer and wine and cocktails. Skip the tourist restaurants with the belly dancers and musicians; we paid $40 each for the experience (after paying less than $10 a meal, we were shocked) and had enough food to feed a dozen people. Ask the guide or at your hotel for a recommendation for an evening of entertainment NOT geared to the tourist trade.

Be careful when photographing people; the Islamic religion forbids human images, and you don't want to offend. Ask, or have your guide ask...

Search this Thread