transfers between lodges in kruger area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am trying to plan a safari and spend 2 nights in one lodge and 2 in another in the kruger area. How would i transfer between lodges. I know that there are charter flights between lodges, does anyone know how much this costs per person, how long does it take to fly etc. any info would be helpful.
we are thinking of maybe doing 2 nights at royal malewane and 2 at sabi sabi. or 2 r. malewane and 2 at tinga. or possibly 2 at tinga and 2 at sabi sabi. (can i drive or hire a ride from tinga to sabi sabi, how long would it take). I am trying to avoid killing 3-4 hours transfering between lodges. With flying i assume i could do that. please any info will help. I have contacted the lodges but they have basiclly given me the run around, saying they will be happy to give me more info after i book, or reserve a date.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 05:13 AM
sandi

I gather you are planning this trip on your own? If so, when you contct Royal Malewane inquire re transfers to say, Sabi Sabi. And when contacting Sabi Sabi inquire re transfer to Royal Malewane. And do the same with the other camps you are considering. At least you'll find out if the camps can arrange and what the fees associated. And which can be done by road, and which by air - and get the prices for the latter. Just ask.

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

unfortunatly i am getting a little bit of a run around from the lodges. each one is saying to ask the other lodge. I must say that i am a bit surprised about this, coming from these luxury lodges.
i also want to know if it is a short drive from tinga to sabi sabi.
any help i would appreciate.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 05:34 PM

mhron,

You should take a look at some maps of the areas that you are considering. While the Sabi Sand Game Reserve is not terribly huge, if you are staying in places in Thornybush and further beyond in Kruger National Park, it makes it very hard to tell how much the transfers will cost.

I do think that you should not be overly concerned. Worse case scenario is that you will need to take a short air transfer that will likely cost about $150 pp. The air transfer should get you close enough to where you will be given a free or very low cost road transfer.

Another option may be to try and find a charter air company to enquire about transfer prices. Meanwhile, I would not sweat it too much.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

thanks roccco
if i take an air transfer i would imagine its not longer than 20 -30 minute flight at most between most lodges. i am just trying to figure out how much time this wil kill between driving to air strip waiting for the plane and transfering to next lodge, if the whole affair takes 1&1/2 hours thats okay, but i dont want to kill alot of time transfering.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 03:51 AM
sandi

mhron -

While I cannot give you specifics, whether air or road transfers, understand that your day at camps/lodges run from lunch the day you arrive thru breakfast the following day. So whether you fly or drive, it will be done after breakfast and if the lodge/camp are on the same reserve, even a drive won't take all that much time. On our visit, we drove from our camp in the Manyeletti reserve (Honeyguide) to our next lodge at the Sabi Sand reserve (Singita). We did a road transfer, prearranged through our tour operator and it took about 2-1/2 hrs. arriving way before lunch served at 1pm.

If you don't have success with the lodges themselves, and since you appear to be booking this trip on your own - give a try by contacting some of the reputable tour operators in SA:

Taga Safaris
Plus Travel and Tours
go2africa

they might be willing to arrange these for you. You've got to check out all options. Hope this helps, and do let us know what finally works.

Old Oct 31st, 2004, 01:09 PM

mhron -

Found this number in a travel book on South Africa... You might try calling them and seeing if they can help with the transfers in between lodges.

Eastgate Lodge Transfers 015/793-3678.