Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Two nights in Bahariya - does this sound doable? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/two-nights-in-bahariya-does-this-sound-doable-828262/)

jahlie Feb 25th, 2010 11:21 AM

Two nights in Bahariya - does this sound doable?

How does this sound to you Egypt experts - drive from Cairo to Bahariya, overnight, then go (somewhere) into the desert, camp overnight and back to cairo on day three? It's part of an itinerary proposal for our trip to Egypt next April. I haven't checked the price or details as to hotel yet but would appreciate someone's feedback on whether that sounds too rushed. FYI, believe me, one night camping in the desert will be plenty for our group - if we decide to do that at all.

If we do, any other advice?

Thanks,

NoFlyZone Feb 25th, 2010 12:21 PM

That is easily doable. The drive to Bahariya is not all that long (a couple hours). You will have plenty of time.

john61 Feb 25th, 2010 04:35 PM

I'm headed their in two weeks with a similar plan.. drive to Bahariyah.. two nights camping in desert then back to Cairo on day 3... I'll let you know how it goes.. wish us luck!

evecolorado Feb 26th, 2010 08:18 AM

We did a trip with that timeline a couple of years ago. The trip was well worth it, and not too rushed. It took around 4 hours to drive from Cairo to Bahariya, with a break half way at a truck stop. That first night we stayed at Peter Wirth's hotel, used his driver for the camping trip into the desert, and had lunch there before heading back to Cairo on day three.

I was nervous about one element of camping in the desert (where does one go potty?). The rest of our group didn't want to do it at all and only did so because I insisted. They were all so glad we didn't chicken out--it really was incredible. A definitely not-to-be-missed experience--the golden mummies, those fabulous formations, the incredible night sky, and on and on.

jahlie Feb 26th, 2010 11:55 AM

I'm relieved and glad to hear the whole experience was so memorable. How were the tents? The bedding? Was it clean? Did you sleep on cots with sleeping bags or regular bedding? I have read that it's cold at night - was it? How about the food? And of course, where DID you go potty?

If I'm going to convince a couple of the others who are going with us, then I need some ammunition.

Casual_Cairo Feb 26th, 2010 12:04 PM

I've done it like that once before. The other time I went, I was in the desert for 2 nights. The 2 nights is better as you'll see more of the White Desert, but it may not be a luxury you can afford the time to give yourself.
One night is OK and you'll see a good bit on that first day after the night in Baharayia... there is a good drive in the desert that day to see much.

Take your own sleeping bag, or at least a sleeping envelope or something you can slip into the sleeping bag incase it isn't as clean as you want.
There are NO cots. You sleep on the ground... unless you are on some sort of DELUXE camp thing.
It can be cold at night. You might even have a sand storm. We certainly did the first time I did that trip.
The food is good for camping food. Basic, but camping food.
You potty in the sand behind a bush or behind a dune. You will bury your poop, and leave NO TP.
Your guide better tell you - LEAVE NOTHING BUT YOUR FOOTPRINTS, TAKE NOTHING BUY MEMORIES AND PHOTOS.

If he doesn't, he should be shot! :D Just kidding, but he should at least be spanked.

jahlie Feb 26th, 2010 01:14 PM

Gotcha. We can buy light weight yet warm sleeping bag liners. I travel with a carry-on size suitcase regardless of destination or duration so that will just have to do the trick. Squatting behind a sand dune just might be one of the more pleasant potty experiences I have in Egypt outside of our hotels. Camping is sounding more and more doable all the time. I bet we'll come home with lots of stories to tell.

If we had more time, I'd like to drive the oasis circuit down through Kharga and ending up in Luxor. I just don't think we have the time for that. We have two weeks - 3 nights Cairo, 1 night Aswan, 1 night Abu Simbel, 3 nights cruise, 1 night Cairo, 2 nights desert, 2 nights Cairo then home. That's the first draft of our itinerary and I'm sure we'll tweek and twist it some before we're all satisfied.