Two great weeks in Morocco

Mar 26th, 2018, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Two great weeks in Morocco

My husband and I just returned from two great weeks in Morocco.

Wanted to give a shout out to those who made it such a great trip.

We mostly organized ourselves for the beginning (in Fez) and the end (in Marrakech).

For four days three nights in the middle we had arranged by Wild Morocco for car/driver and hotels. We did one night Sahara desert camp, one night Todra Gorge, one night Ait Ben Haddou. Our driver Khalid was outstanding. With all the patience in the world for all our questions. We loved the sand and stars in the Berber desert camp. And hotels Chez Pierre and Riad Caravane were a great balance between local and sophisticated and we enjoyed both very much.

After the days on the road we had a bit of a vaction from our vacation at Kasbah Bab Ourika two nights. Less than one hour from Marrakech. One of the best hotels we have ever stayed in for style, setting, comfort and food.

Fez we had four nights in Riad al Bartal. In a quiet part of the Medina. Beautiful old place and great care by Omar there to look after us. Highlight was the bread making class at Ruined Garden. A great insight into local culture and cuisine. And one night at Nur restaurant. Chef there had a turn in our hometown of Chicago and invited us back to the kitchen to say hello.

Marrakech we had three nights at Riad al Massarah. In the Medina but a more local corner where we felt like neighbors rather than tourists. You could not meet a more enjoyable host in Michael there who makes sure you have a great time. Great nearby restaurants. And we had a great guide in Noura through Tours by Locals. One night we had the food tour and another morning we had the highlights of art and architecture.

Overall we found Morocco fascinating, easy enough to do mostly on our own but a little slower to reveal itself than other Middle Eastern or African countries we have visited before. Take your time. Slow down. Observe life around you. Those were our best times.
Apr 16th, 2018, 07:12 PM

Hi, wondering how you found your driver?
Apr 17th, 2018, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Do you mean how did I hire the driver? Through Wild Morcco (they provided driver and arranged accommodation).

Or did you mean how did I like the driver? He was outstanding. Very knowledgeable and patient with all our questions. Even took us to his sisters house for lunch. A highlight!
Jun 29th, 2018, 08:25 PM

Hi,

Your itinerary sounds great. Can you put it in the order you did it? I'm planning a solo trip in Nov and am trying to decide if I should go with a tour company for at least part of it.

Thank you!
Jul 11th, 2018, 03:37 AM

Nice plan

Sounds like you had a lot of fun! I always say that you can only make the best of a travel experience when you mix with the locals, and they show you around things that you could have never seen by yourself, and they take you out of that touristy bubble where you're always too cautious and intimidated when you're in an unknown territory. I'm glad you did that and you enjoyed your experience.

Search this Thread