Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Two Great Books (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/two-great-books-527121/)

napamatt May 6th, 2005 09:38 AM

Two Great Books

Just finished reading "The Wilderness Family" by Kobie Kruger and "Solo" by Hugo Van Lawick.

Great reads that take you right back to Africa.

Roccco May 6th, 2005 09:41 AM

napamatt,

Just curious...where is the setting for each book?

Thanks.

napamatt May 6th, 2005 12:01 PM

Rocco

Solo is the story of a wild dog pup in Tanzania.

the Wilderness Family is set in various parts of the Kruger park.

Lin May 16th, 2005 06:35 PM

Rocco, Have you read Mike Coppinger's book 'Luangwa Zambia's Treasure'? I'm thinking of ordering it but its $43 so I thought I'd get a review if possible!

Roccco May 16th, 2005 07:17 PM

Lin,

No, I was not even aware of such a book. Is Mike Coppinger any relation to John Coppinger the owner and operator of Tafika and Mwaleshi?

jcasale May 17th, 2005 08:34 AM

I haven't read it yet since I am saving it for the plane ride over to Africa, but a friend of ours gave us a fiction book that takes place in Botswana. It's written by Alexander McCall Smith and is called "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency". Apparently that's the first book in a series that he and his wife like very much and since we are going to Botswana they thought we would enjoy it. I may also have to pick up "The Wilderness Family" since we will be near Kruger also.

uhoh_busted May 17th, 2005 01:12 PM

I just finished an interesting novel, The Darling, by Russell Banks. It takes place in (for the most part -- about 80%) Liberia. Not your standard African destination, and it's really very political -- but a great read.

Lin May 17th, 2005 02:10 PM

Rocco, Tafika's website lists the book as recommended reading. I asked Pierre and he thought the Coppingers only had daughters, but Mike Coppinger told me he would mail the book to me and I could pay for it when I get to Tafika, so he must be connected somehow. I went ahead and ordered it so I'll tell you how it is - I know you've said you'd like to write a photographic book about Zambia someday.

Roccco May 19th, 2005 12:40 PM

Lin,

Thanks for the tip.

I did just receive my Bradt Zambia book in the mail today, and I want to cry! ;)

It is currently my most treasured possession and I am sure that within a couple months it will be falling apart from overuse. More information on Zambia than I have ever had before and just a reaffirmation that Zambia is, in fact, an incredible place.

Liuwa Plains, Kafue, North Luangwa and Kasanka are all high on my list of places to visit. :)

Lin May 20th, 2005 08:59 PM

ooooh now what is Bradt Zambia pls???

Roccco May 20th, 2005 11:01 PM

Lin,

Bradt Zambia is 525 pages full of Zambia...by far the most comprehensive Zambian travel book that I have ever seen!

There are interesting places included that you won't even find in most other books such as Sioma Ngwezi and Sumbu National Park (bordering Tanzania).

This book is a must have, not only for those wanting to visit Zambia, but also for those wanting to visit any area that borders on Zambia, such as those planning a visit to Selous in Tanzania (where a trip to Sumbu National Park would likely be a lot easier than the northern circuit of Tanzania) or for someone considering Hwange National Park, where a side trip to Liuwa Plains may prove beneficial. Additionally, South Luangwa and North Luangwa would combine nicely with Malawi, while Lower Zambezi is a natural for a combination with Mana Pools...although they are opposite each other on the Zambezi River, the ecosystems are supposedly different, from what I understand.

The maps in the book are invaluable and show the placement of the lodges within the national parks and game management areas. For example, my stays at Kasaka River Lodge and Chongwe River Camp would not be a combination chosen by many since the camps are likely within a couple miles of each other. However, I know that this is one of the strongest areas for wild dog in the park, so I did consciously choose this combination rather than going further east in the park to a place like Sausage Tree Camp or Chiawa (plus it didn't hurt that both Kasaka and Chongwe are $165+ pp per night less expensive than Chiawa and Sausage Tree Camp).

I also really liked that this book was at times very candid in its remarks. For example, while it raved about the relatively unknown Chongwe River Camp, if you did read between the lines, it stated what I have heard on occasion from other sources, that, for example, the highly esteemed Chiawa, was "highly efficient." Well, when most of us think of where we would like to experience Africa, it is not necessarily at a "highly efficient" place, as this may also translate into highly regimented to some.

Anyway, it will honestly take me weeks to completely digest this book. I only wish that it also came in hardcover, because it will not be long before this book is in pieces after I thumb through it a few hundred times.

birder57 May 21st, 2005 08:30 AM

I found the comments and Ideas regarding books really good. The series "The Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency" is beyond terrific. They take place in Botswana and after finishing all the books, I feel as if I have been there. It makes me even more excited to see Botswana. Another fantastic book: Dangerous Beauty by Mark Ross, a man who takes people on safaris into the bush. Into Africa: a Journey Through the Ancient Empires, by Marq de Villiers is also terrific as are the two books by Kuki Gallman. Of those two, the best in my opinion: I Dreamed of Africa. Another wonderful book: Tall Blondes, all about the giraffes. And of course, Ghosts of Tsavo is also an amazing and great read. Lastly, Allen Bechky's Adventuring in Southern Africa, is excellent; and Mark Nolting's Africa's Top 5 Wildlife Countries is also excellent.