Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Two-day safari starting in Nairobi for a single woman.

Apr 15th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

My daughter will be visiting friends in Nairobi in May and wants to travel to see the Masai Mara and see as much wildlife as possible. What are the options and the best choices to do this? What is a fair price? What pitfalls should be avoided. She will be travellng by herself. Any cautions in that regard?
Apr 15th, 2012, 07:55 PM

What's her budget? By 2 days, do you mean 2 days/1 night or 3 days/2 nights? Keep in mind it's 6 hours drive from Nairobi. Flying is an option depending on her budget.
Apr 16th, 2012, 07:15 AM

Go to one of the Governors Camp in the Masai Mara. Stay at least three nights. Around $300-500 per night.
http://www.governorscamp.com/propert...ns/masai-mara/

regards - tom
Apr 17th, 2012, 01:15 AM
peg

I just came back from Kenya last week, one thing to keep in mind is that it will mostly likely rain every night in the Masai Mara. We still went on our game drives, but one was cut short due to a very heavy downfall. So that might inhibit some of her viewing with such a short time. Although, during the day was beautiful. As for a fair price, it really depends on the budget. We stayed a IL Moran one of the Governors Camps and used their own planes, which will be more expensive than driving or some of the other places. If it's only two days and one night, there are some other wildlife options closer to Nairobi. Of course they all don't have the big five, but are nice nonetheless. We stayed at Chui Lodge for a couple of nights, which is near Lake Naivasha, only two hours outside Nairobi.
Apr 17th, 2012, 08:08 AM

I traveled alone in Kenya for two weeks last August and had a wonderful time! I am older than your daughter but found everyone quite protective, friendly and helpful. I stayed at Little Governor's in the Mara and really liked it. Not only do you get the wildlife during the drives but many animals (warthogs, elephants, buffalo, etc) come very near or even into the camp. I flew from Nairobi and would not drive given the limited amount of time she has.