Twelve Apostles Hotel

Nov 5th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Pinky

Twelve Apostles Hotel

Does anyone have any info on this place? I think it may be new as I can find no mention of it here. I think it used to be called De Oudekraal so maybe it has been relaunched. The only info I can find is on the Leading Hotels website but I wondered if anyone here had stayed there and can give an impartial view.

Nov 5th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Hello Pinky,

The 12 Apostles Hotel has been a building with many a problem as well as owner. Before it was built it was a controversial project in that some people felt that it was a lone building structure that defaced the mountain of its natural beauty. The Muslim community were outraged that the building was being erected close to one of the holy burial shrines (kramat) and for 3 weekends in a row blockaded the main arterial highway that runs past the building. Anyway after many court actions and other motions the building was built and was originally known a the Oudekraal Hotel. Subsequent to that new owners took over and the hotel is now known as the 12 Apostles Hotel in that it is situated in the shadow of the 12 Apostles mountain range. The controversy seems to have died down these days however the hotel is not that well frequented and imho for the following reasons.

The hotel is isolated and NOT well positioned as it is far (about 6 km) from Camps Bay and relatively far from the city or Waterfront.

The restaurant in the hotel, Trinidads, flanks the highway and with this road being a main artery into the city the noise levels are high. During the season this road is very heavily frequented and traffic levels are high on weekends resulting in the fact that residents have a hard time making it back home during the late evening period when all beach goers travel home.

The food in the restaurant is pretty average.

One definite factor on favour of the hotel is that when one stays in the establishment the views from the rooms are fantastic.

To be perfectly honest I dont know of anyone who has stayed in the hotel however other tourguides have told me what has only amounted to not such good facts about the hotel. I trust those who have spoken to me and it is for this reason that I dont support the hotel by letting my own clientele stay there.

If you asked me whether one should stay at the hotel I would say rather look for a venue that is more central in Camps Bay or the City Centre.

Enjoy Cape Town when you visit us.

Selwyn Davidowitz

Nov 5th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Lisa

Selwyn, I was waiting to see your response because I was pretty sure it was the isolated venue past Bakoven. I was interested to see that your response pretty much concurs with my own impressions which are based on assumption, not fact. While the setting is breathtakingly gorgeous, I would also think it is too isolated. There are absolutely no buildings for miles.
But I guess that now that Hout Bay is becoming more popular than it was 20 years ago, maybe there is more of a market for this hotel.

Search this Thread