Search

Very worried. Safari

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very worried. Safari

I have booked but not yet paid for (coz Im smart), a car with driver/guide from a company based in arusha called avocet Safaris limited. After checking on all relevant forums I have found no one that has heard of them. On telling avocet my concerns they provided me with a list of satisfied customers over the last year -email addresess and on checking them they got good feedback.
Ok, I know Ive done what everyone says not to do by not choosing a tato organisation but I also know there are good companies that arent members.
Thing is that I cant find anyone else that will offer 4wd plus driver/guide. Everyone seems to do set package safaris (not what we want) or "individual safaris" which actually work out more expensive!

I have this idea to contact one of the lodges that has been booked for us by them Ikoma to make sure it has actually been booked (miss marple style). Is there a way to directly contact lodges?
Would I be crazy to go with this or am I just being over cautious?

Any help or advice to ease my worries will be v happily and gratefully recieved.
Even better if somehas heard of them!!

Thanks all!!
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 06:44 AM
sandi

snowy - contacting lodges can be tricky. most are in contact with the outside world by two-way radio, not always telephones and if telephone it is thru whatever chain the hotel belongs to; said chain might be located in Arusha or elsewhere (even outside of Africa). Some lodges might have internet access, most do not. And until you have paid for your trip, Avocet might only have a "hold" on the space/room and it will be listed in Avocet's name, not necessarily yours.

While I had never heard of Avocet, and I don't believe anyone can know all the tour operators in East Africa - from their site, they've been in business since '99; you've already received list of satisfied customers whom you can contact - what kinds of resposes have you gotten from these client's of Avocet? If positive, go with it.

But may I ask, which other Tanzanian tour operators have you contacted that you couldn't get an itinerary at a price that was agreeable to you. I can't imagine that no other operator provides 4wd plus driver/guide - most all do. And if their packaged safaris aren't what you wanted, then they are individual safaris. What kind of safari itinerary did Avocet offer that no one else could?

Also, how do you make payment to Avocet? By credit card, or wire transfers? Most in-country outfitters require wire transfers.

As to whether you are being over cautious? No one can ever be, but it's someting to consider when dealing with an in-country operator versus a tour operator in your own country.

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 04:07 PM

Hi David again, Don't know why my post here was deleted. I was just sharing info on a tour op I use in EAST AFRICA.
Is that not what people need and ask for here?
Snowy if you want info e-mail me at:
[email protected]
I would rather not give out my msn mail here. Thanks, David
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 01:39 PM

hello snowy, what happened to you??
david
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 09:44 AM

Did anyone ever hear from Snowy after her safari?

I was wondering about her experience with Avocet. Trying to locate our driver/guide from last year, and I *think* he may be working for Avocet now. Our e-mail communication is a little confusing and pretty spotty, as he's out on safari most of the time and doesn't often have access to a computer.

Not putting all my eggs in one basket, but it would be a great joy to us if he could be our guide again. Of course, I'm researching other operators as well--all the usual suspects.