Victoria falls lodging, zimbabwe, help, pls

Old Jul 25th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Victoria falls lodging, zimbabwe, help, pls

Dear Fodorites,
I would greatly appreciate if anyone could help me find lodging on the Zimbabwe side of the falls. We will not have a car. We prefer boutique or culturally charming lodging. I have spent quite some time with no luck. Thank you in advance!
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 11:52 AM

I enjoyed staying at Illala Lodge - in Victoria Falls. It's close to the falls so you could walk there.

http://www.ilalalodge.com/
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your kind reply. Unfortunately, they could not accommodate us. Any other suggestions, pls?
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 02:37 PM

Personally, while it's colonialist flair may not be for everyone, I love the Victoria Falls Hotel. I get enough bush while I am on safari and it is nice to break it up with a luxury hotel and I love the grounds of the Victoria Falls Hotel.

I've stayed at the Victoria Falls Safari Lodge and wasn't crazy about it...it was like a Holiday Inn with tacky African decor (rather than tactful colonial African decor found at the Victoria Falls Hotel).

I do prefer staying on the Zim side of the falls just because it is a better view of the falls from there.
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 07:05 PM

Loved having tea at the Victoria Falls Hotel, and would very much enjoy staying there, including its location. However, we wanted to stay where the rest of our group was, so it was the Victoria Falls Safari Lodge. Not boutique or culturally charming but it was perfectly fine. The food was good, the rooms spotless, the beds comfortable and the staff most helpful.

We were there two nights and made our reservation through Getaway Africa Travel and Tours, www.getawayafrica.com, and they got us a much better rate than on the lodge's website. Annelie got us a package which included 2 nights lodging, a sundowner cruise, breakfast both days, a hotel dinner, plus a dinner in the Boma (great, great fun even if "touristy". We even got to eat Mopani worms!).

If you are finding everything booked up, contact Annelie and she what she can do. [email protected]
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your kind replies. As you can see I am still learning & struggling. I have spent two days & it is so confusing. I will google something & the same hotel will come up as a hit in Zambia & Zimbabwe. Same thing with the airports. The info I got last nite was that Livingstone [which we are flying into] is actually in Zambia! Thus I need a hotel for Zambia! Any suggestions there? We are flying in one day & out the next so location is important. I appreciate Annelie's email. I am thinking that a lot of groups have space blocked & this may be why I am finding no availability. There just does not seem to be much in Zambia. Is it time consuming to get over the border?
Many thanks!
PS. I had to smile about the worms! You are much braver than I am!
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 05:19 AM

I replied to your earlier post before seeing this one which now makes a bit more sense as to which side you are staying and for how long. You can get transferred easily enough to Zimbabwe from Zambia, takes a bit of time maybe 45 miuntes extra, but this will add to your visa costs aswell, so for such a short visit probably not worth it. You are right groups do make block bookings which they then never take up so in effect the hotels are not full. I would say your best bet is to get hold of an agent who knows the area they can normally get rooms when you can't see them on the hotels website, save you an enormous amount of time and frustration.