ellerman house

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 12:13 PM
frank

ellerman house

Anyone ever stay at ellerman house ? ....gonna be in cape town for the first 4 days of my honeymoon and it looks pretty nice...any info would be appreciated <BR> <BR>frank

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 01:10 PM
lisa

One word. Wow! <BR> <BR>Never had the good fortune (or the fortune that is required) to stay there, but did go to see it. <BR>Absolutely magnificent. Everything laid on, premium service, luxurious accommodation and the setting is just stunning. It is situated in a wind-free area and is 10 minutes (not even) from the Waterfront). Don't confuse the oceanfront, which it is situated on and the Waterfront, the area of the harbor which has attractions, shopping and restaurants. It has been written up in many international magazines. Lucky you. <BR> <BR>Michael Jackson has stayed there and if it is good enough for him....,

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 01:21 PM
frank

cool...i had it narrowed down between ellerman, cape grace and mount nelson....and we decided on there because it seemed a bit more secluded....thanks for the info

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 04:21 PM
Lisa

Yes, definitely more romantic. <BR>Cape Grace is also very highly rated. (I think in the Nov or Dec conde nast traveler, it was rated as one of the top hotels in the world.) <BR> <BR>Mount Nelson is also supposed to be very grand, but I think it is over rated. It's older. I am sure that many will disagree with me, though. The food is very good there. <BR> <BR>However, Ellerman House is quite a wellkept secret. The fact that it has only 6 or 8 rooms, makes it pretty exclusive. Plus the setting is so dramatic. <BR> <BR>And yes, it is secluded, but you have the option of being not far from things. The restaurants of Sea Point and the magnificent beaches of Clifton(where I met my husband, I have to add)are literally minutes away. I have to say that the water temperature there is usually too cold for most Americans. <BR> <BR>I think I remember reading that the hotel will provide transportation wherever you want to go but you may want to rent a car. Cape Town is very easy to drive around on your own. <BR> <BR>Congratulations and enjoy. what month are you going? <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 05:24 AM
frank

We're heading over next february....is the beach in walking distance ?

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 07:55 AM
Lisa

Saunders Rocks is a tiny beach with big boulders and is very close. Good for sunning. You could walk to Clifton Beach, depending on how energetic you are. It is probably a mile or two. <BR> <BR>I would definitely rent a car, though. <BR>There are so many beautiful drives and attractions that are not within walking distance, that it really calls for it. <BR> <BR>February is the best time in Cape Town. Great weather and the holiday crowds have gone home. <BR> <BR>If you want specific information, you can e-mail me. I may not be able to answer everything but I can try.

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 10:50 AM
cee

I heard that Saunders Rocks is not so safe these days. Pity as I grew up there and went there every day after university and work before leaving CT.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 05:51 AM
Dawn

Dear Frank, <BR> <BR>I saw yoour post and had to reply - My husband and I were guest at the Ellerman House last Feb. - we just LOVED it - very private and superb in very way - it is a gem of a property - beautiful views - incredible food - the kitchen will prepare whtever you like - food, service - everything is top notch!!! - beach is a long but beautiful walk - if you like privacy, esp for a Honeymoon - this is a very special property and I would highly recommend it to you! The weather in Feb last year in Capetown was incredible for us which was a very welcome relief from the horrible rains we endured on the rest of the trip - last year Feb is when all the horrible rains and floding started in South Africa. If you are vacationing all around South africa I wish you much better weather then we had - still had a trip of a lifetime though - Enjoy yourselves and Congratulations!!!