Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Tunisia - recommendations and precautions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 1998, 10:55 AM
Greg

Plans for Tunisia via Sicily in early February - I'd love to hear of others' experiences or warnings while travelling in this country - I'll be staying mostly in the North (NOT Hammamet and environs , which is overtly touristy, from what I've heard)
Thanks in Advance!
Greg

Old Jan 14th, 1998, 07:15 AM
Fiona Neilands

I visited Tunisia during the first week of February last year and had a great time. The weather was really nice, warm and sunny most of the time but cloudy on a couple of days. At least two days during the week it was warm enough to sunbathe and swim in the sea. We stayed in a quiet resort not too far from Hammamet (I can't remember the name)in the Dar Khayam hotel - tthe food was great and there was a beach and the end of the gardens. It wasn't all that touristy, the tourist industry is still developing so even the most touristy places aren't that bad and Feb is low season anyway.
You didn't mention if you are travelling alone or with friends/partner. It's really important that women keep themselves reasonably covered up I wore long shirts and 'respectable' tops the whole time and still got quite a lot of hassle.Blondes/redheads are seen as something of a novelty and may get comments.
We visited a lot of souks (markets in the old town) which are great if you like haggling, you can pick up some bargins but salesmen can be VERY pushy.
We went on an organised trip to the capital, Tunis which also included in the famous very impressive roman place (I can't believe I've forgotten the name!). With hindsight I would probably visit Tunis independently as the trip was a bit rushed - I would have liked to have seen more and the lunch provided was awful.
We also went to Nabuel for the Friday market which was the biggest in the area.
E-mail me for more details.

Old Jan 14th, 1998, 07:16 AM
Fiona Neilands

I visited Tunisia during the first week of February last year and had a great time. The weather was really nice, warm and sunny most of the time but cloudy on a couple of days. At least two days during the week it was warm enough to sunbathe and swim in the sea. We stayed in a quiet resort not too far from Hammamet (I can't remember the name)in the Dar Khayam hotel - tthe food was great and there was a beach and the end of the gardens. It wasn't all that touristy, the tourist industry is still developing so even the most touristy places aren't that bad and Feb is low season anyway.
You didn't mention if you are travelling alone or with friends/partner. It's really important that women keep themselves reasonably covered up I wore long shirts and 'respectable' tops the whole time and still got quite a lot of hassle.Blondes/redheads are seen as something of a novelty and may get comments.
Several vacinnations are recommended (not essential)including hepatitas, typhiod and tetanus.
We visited a lot of souks (markets in the old town) which are great if you like haggling, you can pick up some bargins but salesmen can be VERY pushy.
We went on an organised trip to the capital, Tunis which also included in the famous very impressive roman place (I can't believe I've forgotten the name!). With hindsight I would probably visit Tunis independently as the trip was a bit rushed - I would have liked to have seen more and the lunch provided was awful.
We also went to Nabuel for the Friday market which was the biggest in the area.
E-mail me for more details.

Old Jan 15th, 1998, 12:10 AM
Fiona Neilands

The roman ruins I was thinking of are at Carthage and they're well worth seeing.
Another place I visited was Kairoan, the holy city which is also very interesting. We travelled by bus and had no problems.

Old May 24th, 2001, 02:08 PM
edward

i was just wondering if u n ew of any boat trips ierices quality and so on (its not for me mams going this year and is wondering!!!) i would appreciate a reply Thanx Edward Horsley