TUNISIA. (HAMMAMET BASED), 1 or 2 days trips?

Jul 9th, 1997, 08:00 AM
Peter Ten

TUNISIA. (HAMMAMET BASED), 1 or 2 days trips?

We´re planning a ten days travel to Tunisia in late August.
We are based in Hammamet, and we would like to know your expertise advise about the area, especially 1 or 2 days trips, including the south area. Thanks!!

Jul 11th, 1997, 02:45 AM
João MARTINS

You couldn't have a better choice than Tunisia! There are so many things there to see. In August is going to be packed with tourists and off course, full of street "helpers" trying to tour you from shop to monuments,etc. Deal with it calm and politely - do not talk to much, if you are not interested -, bargain but never, NEVER show yourself interested in a thing you want really buy! Best time to go is end of September to end of May. Tunis is only 60 km away from Hammamet. What a beautiful city! There, I stayed is a small and nice hotel (the street was not nice) Maison Dorée. Another hotel is the Majestic, in a better location but a little noisy. Restaurants in Tunis are very good : try Dar El Jed***** a must! Go and see! Book in advance. Also Restaurant Neptune near Carthage is good for fish. You should also visit Sidi Bou Said (Café des Nattes) and the ruins of Carthage. In Tunis : the medina and the Bardo Museum worth a visit. Out of Tunis I went by taxi - bargain hardly for good price -to see the (forgotten) ruins of Dougga (110km from Tunis), one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. Check for more information with http://www.tourismtunisia.com which very clear and full of information. Have a nice time there!

Jul 24th, 1997, 12:02 PM
beth

The Conde Nast Traveler march 1997 issue has a great article on Tunisia. It is in the Great Drives Section. It maps out a drive through the country. Go to the Library or buy a back issue through the magazine. Have a good time!

Search this Thread