Search

february serengeti trip

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
february serengeti trip

hello i wish to go and stay around the ndutu area for 4-5 nights in mid february. Which camps should I stay in to be close to the migration and what rates should I expect to pay per day???
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 09:47 AM

Unfortunately, you will find that everything near Ndutu is already fully booked in Feb - unless your outfitter somehow has pre-booked availability thanks to cancellations!

There are no public camp sites near Ndutu. The special ones are all booked by different outfitters and hopefully your outfitter can find you an open tent somewhere!
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 09:58 AM

sonali,
Didn't you just get back?

I hope you're able to find accommodations because it sounds like you're hooked on Tanzania. Good luck!
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 12:42 PM
bat

You might write to Ndutu lodge. When I communicated with them last spring, their policy was to take reservations without a deposit--deposit due 60 or 45 days prior (can't remember which). So they could be at the point of some failed reservations. On the other hand,, they were creating waitlists so you might still be out of luck. Worth a try--otherwise you are in the situation that Eben has described--finding an operator who can get you into a tent.

We are about to pay our final deposit--60 days out--so this might be a moment when there is some turnover.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

yes Leely, I am hooked on tanzania. I want to see the wilderbeest calving and since all the wild life will be on the short grass plains, the viewing should be fantastic. let's see If I get bookings. Bat thanks!! are u going to serengeti in feb?? I am a single person,so just keep me in mind if u have a cancelation or can think of some way to help with my booking,keep in touch,Sonali.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 01:19 PM
bat

Hi sonali:

Yes, we will be there in Feb. I did cancel a reservation at Ndutu lodge but it was months ago when I went with an operator.

I hope nothing happens that we have to cancel!! But if we do I'll post it.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 01:21 PM
bat

BTW Sonali. If you go to Ndutu lodge's website they show some days available in January--I know you want to go in Feb--but last year the migration was in the area in Jan and then left--so you never know!
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 01:48 PM

Maybe, if all else fails and you're amenable to this, you could "public camp" somewhere in the Seronera valley and drive south or southeast to see wildies and calves.

But, as you already know, get your outfitter on this ASAP.

And, by the way, I am green with envy that you get to return so soon. How wonderful.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Actually I have some family weddings to attend in jan end and feb beginning,so the best I can do is leave on the 5th/6th of february. I have some dates available from emc,but they are expensive.should I book them??? Also leely u can join me if u like.U are most welcome,Also i would prefer to stay near the area for I want to see the predators hunting and I feel that will be most possible in the morning,What is ur opinion??Sonali.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 05:55 AM
bat

If you can afford EMC and you want to go it is pretty lucky it seems to me that you can get any dates this close to Feb---which is super peak. climbhigh speaks highly of EMC--I think he is staying with EMC on New year's eve in fact.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 08:48 AM

I agree with bat--go for EMC if they can squeeze you in and you can swing it financially. Eben (climbhighsleeplow) has some photos and other info on his website go-safari.com.

And I'd love to go, but all my $$ is tied up in a return visit in June. Have fun, and post a report when you return.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 05:05 AM

Is late February a good time to attempt to see the migration?
I'll be in Tanzania in Feb for a Kilimanjaro climb. I have a few extra days available afterwards, 22-25 Feb. I was consider splitting the three night between Ngorongoro and Lake Manyara. Since I need to be back at JRO for the return flight on the night of the 25th I considered the Serengeti to far. Should I reconsider?
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 05:21 AM
sandi

DJ -

There is little, if any, space available in Tanzania for February. If you want to see the Migration, then it should be the Serengeti that you visit. You may want to check with your outfitter whether they can find something for you; may only be mobile camping. With only 4-days, much will be taken up with just "getting there" - flying to/from would be best, but depends on your budget. Otherwise, you'd need a stop somewhere going - Manyara or Crater; likewise on the return or you spend an entire day driving back to Arusha/Kili.

Check with your outfitter for what may be available; transport to/from by road or air.