Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Welcome to all the newbies on this board (continued)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well given the last contribution to the above thread I feel I must reply- but no option to reply given so am starting a continued thread. Here is Roccco's message:

Date: 07/09/2004, 01:14 pm
Message: Perhaps I am just spoiled by living in California, leaving me with little desire to do the Garden Route, Winelands or even whale watching...all activities available to me nearby home.
Admittedly, South Africa is a wonderful place to partake in all these activities.

As far as Eastern Africa goes, my DREAM trip, whenever I can afford four weeks of mostly safari, is as follows:

South Luangwa (5), 2.5 hour charter flight from Mfuwe Intl. Airport to Selous.
Selous (4)
Ruaha (4)
Zanzibar (3)
Tarangire (3)
Ngorongoro Crater (2)
Serengeti (5)

Unfortunately, I do not have $20,000 lying around right now for such a trip.

Alice, did you fall down a rabbit hole and still lost?

Africa is a multidimensional place, and I am
not suggesting that one only visit Zambia. Rather I am suggesting to the newbies who seem stuck on the Sabi Sand that there are other places well worth visiting.
-------------------------------------------
No, Alice did not fall down a hole (but I like the reference).

I know I am not completely on my own cos the first few replies to your post, Roccco, echoed my own thoughts. Now you say you'd like to visit east africa but you need 20K - your itinerary and your budget reinforce my original post.

You posted to encourage first timers to visit less well-known luxury safari camps - admirable, of course. I post to encourage people to skip the brochure altogether.

All the best - may you get to EA one day!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 02:30 PM

Roccco, go to Safari West in Santa Rosa, MUCH CHEAPER
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 02:52 PM

FainaAgain,

Hey, thanks for the tip! I just may get an urge and find a road race (10K or Half Marathon, for example, in the area, and rather than spending $150 per night for some ordinary bed and breakfast, I will spend an extra $75 to stay at Safari West!

I can drive from home to Safari West in about the same amount of time it takes to drive from Johannesburg to Kruger National Park!

I love California!

www.safariwest.com
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 03:18 PM

Safari West is about 10 miles away from Napa. How about this itinerary?

Saturday, March 05 - Los Angeles to Napa Valley, 5.5 hour drive. Late afternoon "game drive." Carbo-loading dinner.

Sunday, March 06 - Transfer to Napa for Napa Valley Marathon. 26.21 miles of hell, for which I will likely be undertrained. Transfer back to Safari West for a 90 minute massage overlooking the savanna, and possibly even a late afternoon/early evening game drive.

2 nights at Safari West = $450 ($225 per person)

2 game drives/game walks (first half is a game drive and second half is a game walk...after all, how far can you drive on 40 acres???) = $232 ($58 per game drive per person

90 minute massage per person = $270

Total price = $952 USD. Wow, for about an extra $150 per night I was able to stay at Djuma Vuyatela, get a second game drive on a little more than 40 acres. That price included a 90 minute massage thrown in there. Perhaps I would be better off waiting until later in the year and doing the real thing in Sabi Sand!

Still, it was a nice thought!
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 03:38 PM

After reading about Kwando Tsum Tsum, I am reminded just how large some of these game reserves are in area.

While "Safari West" has 40 acres in the Napa Valley, Tsum Tsum has about 400,000 acres (175,000 hectares) in Botswana. It translates to an area 10,000 times larger than Safari West.

There is no substitution for the real thing when it comes to Africa.