Tsabo East /West

Dec 11th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Original Poster

Tsabo East /West

I have 6 nights to spend in the area of Tsabo. I was offered to stay 3 nights in Satao(West) and 3 in Finch Haton's.
Do you think we should split the nights equaly between East & West or should we allow more time in one of them?
Does it make sence to stay 6 nights in 2 camps only or we rather add more locations?
Thanks
Dec 11th, 2006, 10:45 PM
santharamhari

Tsavo is a real Wilderness area, so it is good time to spend there......if i went, i would definitely need time to spend. Three nights at a camp is bare minimum in my opinion.....Tsavo is HUGE. However, i dont know about either camp although Finch Hatton's is always well talked about........

Hari

Dec 12th, 2006, 01:20 AM
aby

Hi hamitzer

Have you been to Africa before or is it your first safari ?
(Tsavo-only safari is not typically a first-timer's but rather a choice the "advanced" seeking more remote, wildness place)

abu
PS i agree with Hari my ESP pal ;-)
Why did you choose Tsavo ?
What are your expectations?
Is it a 6 day safari in all ?

give us some more info for abetter analysis

aby
Dec 12th, 2006, 01:29 AM
aby

hamitzer

see this thread (Tsavo East and West?
)
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...archText=Satao
good reviews about Satao

See also LyndaS
NEW EAST AFRICA Trip Report Index
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...t=0&searchText

& use the search on Tsavo or the camps
aby
Dec 12th, 2006, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Aby-
Thanks.
It's my Kenyan fifth trip in the last couple of years and still have'nt seen Tsabo..
I did all the major (and smaller as well..) parks except Tsabo.I have 8 nights this time, and since I have to spend first night in Nairobi, and would love to spend (again) one night in Nakuru, i have the rest of the time left for Tsabo.I've never before spent 6 nights in one reserve but i do understand now from you and Hari that it's not too much ..
I'll read your suggested links.Thanks again
Dec 12th, 2006, 05:14 AM
santharamhari

Never too much. It is good to explore and learn from an area instead of rushing in and out....

Agree, Aby?

Dec 12th, 2006, 08:37 AM

my wife and I wen to Tsavo East back in 2002, and loved the experience. We stayed at the Voi Wildlife Lodge, just outside of the park, as it was a brand new lodge and I wanted to check it out. We very much liked the experience. Tsavo (not Tsabo) isn't for everybody, though.

Be sure to check out Mzima Springs in Tsavo West, as that is the location where some wonderful underwater films have been made of the hippos there.

-Andy
Dec 13th, 2006, 11:31 AM

I was in Tsavo East in 2003. Only for 2 night, but i loved it.. Stayed in satao camp and voi safari lodge. Satao was excellent, even though the camp manager was a bit weird, but great camp mainly because of itīs waterhole even though we "only" saw giraffes, imapalas and waterbucks near it. It also had a good wilderness feeling. Also stayed in Voi Safari Lodge and even though it is a big lodge(around 70 rooms) we loved it to. Mainly because of the views over the savannah, it is stunning! And again a great waterholde, saw over 150 elephants in just 2-3 hours. And I loved Tsavo even though it was a short visit. It is one of my favorite safari areas in Africa, just behind Ruaha... Mainly because it is so large, but also because we had great sightings when we were there. Saw lions, big herds of buffaloes and elephants and elands,zebras, hirola(at the time I didnīt knew that they were so rare), gazelles, gerenuk etc.
Dec 13th, 2006, 01:10 PM
sandi

Find the trip reports from Jan Goss who has been to Satao often over the past few years. She loves it.

We stayed at Finch Hatton's for 2/nts this past June and it was wonderful. A very traditional tented camp... outstanding food. While I didn't go out on the morning game drive, we were surprised NOT to see many elephants, but lots of giraffe, zebra, oryx, ostrich, antelope (of course, of course). Quite varied landscapes, including Mzima Springs, the Lava fields, the road to Mombasa.

The camp itself if set-up around three large hippo pools, who entertain you 24/7, along with crocs that often find their way to land in the middle of walkways. Camp is not fenced so you have all kinds of up-close-and-personal animal encounters - usually monkeys, antelope, baboons (and those crocs).

How are you getting between East and West? Easiest to get to Satao from Mombasa, then private flight to Finch Hatton's; scheduled flight back to NBO. Unless you have a private driver; it's a long drive between East & West.

Dec 14th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Sandi-
The travel agent says that from Satao Rock camp in Tsavo East and Finch Hattons in Tsavo West it's approximately 145 kms and takes about 2-3 hours -
Does it make sence?
Dec 14th, 2006, 11:02 AM
sandi

hamitzer -

The way the crow flies, 145km!

There are no blacktop roads in Tsavo, even if only 145km (which seems low to me). Just consider that the "main" road between Nairobi/Mombassa is a dirt track constantly kicking up red dust. And be glad another vehicle doesn't pass or you're in a cloud.

I always double the estimated drive time to cover getting wherever in Kenya or Tanzania. Even Mzima Springs a short distance from FH, took almost 1/hr each direction. The Lava fields, going out towards the Chyulu Hills (also nearby and still in the West, took a 1+/hrs each direction.

And, are you going to drive straight thru without game viewing along the way. I can't honestly tell you how long it will take, but if you incorporate this transfer as an "all-day" game drive, go for it.