Trying to plan vacation in morocco

May 8th, 2000, 07:44 PM
Laurie Olefson

Trying to plan vacation in morocco

Don't know if we should book a tour (never did before) or wing it on our own. Thought that the language might be difficult. Any suggestions? Experiences?

May 11th, 2000, 03:24 PM
elvira

Do it yourself - we did for almost two weeks. We did hire a tour for the camel trek into the desert (that didn't seem like something we should try ourselves...), but Rabat, Fez, Meknes, Tangier, Chefchouan and Marrakech were on our own (3 women).

It's very easy; many people speak English; in the north they speak Spanish and in the south they speak French; the train system works fine; you can rent Grands Taxis for trips where the trains don't go (like Volubilis).

I recommend a guide for the city; you can hire someone through the tourist office or your hotel; do NOT hire any of the 'guides' at the train stations or ports.

We ate just about everything (except sheep's heads) and had no problems; we did stick to bottled water, though.

It's an incredible country, and one we want to visit again.

May 12th, 2000, 12:48 PM
Nancy Wang

Laurie,
It's a beautiful country and one that you can do it on your own, however it's a difficult place to travel in independently. Either the language barrier (unless you speak French, Spanish or Arabic) or the harassment will get to you. Check out my article on www.bootsnall.com under the African travel guides. I've posted many helpful tips that will alleviate the hardships when you travel there. To me, it's well worth it. The people, food and culture are fascinating. There's nothing like it in the world...

Search this Thread