Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > trying to kick the Traveler's Checks habit-ATMs in Egypt??

trying to kick the Traveler's Checks habit-ATMs in Egypt??

Mar 29th, 2001, 12:52 PM
michele

trying to kick the Traveler's Checks habit-ATMs in Egypt??

What is the availability of ATMs in Cairo, Luxor, and Aswan? Are TCs necessary?

Thanks in advance ( I just hate signing those things).
Michele

Mar 30th, 2001, 12:26 AM
wagih

Hi how are you ;
i am egyptian tour guide and i want to help you here about your question for the ATMs it is in Cairo too too much,LUXOP there is about 4 and 5 in ASWAN ,for more informations please send me an E:MAIL ....wagih

Apr 5th, 2001, 09:57 AM
Patricia

Take your traveler's checks. When we were there last year, my impression was that ATM's were few and far between. Don't take the chance.

Apr 16th, 2001, 12:01 AM
Lori

We didn't take any travelers checks. But the only ATM we used was at the Marriott in Cairo. We were on a cruise outside of Cairo and really didn't need much cash as all our meals were on the boat and any extras there were charged to AMEX or Visa. (only needed cash for whatever trinkets, etc or maybe one night ashore. You may just want to check the VISA and Mastercard web sites which will tell you where the ATMS are for the Plus or Cirrus network.

Apr 16th, 2001, 03:01 PM
Alice

Michele, Just make sure that if you do take TC's (and I second the recommendation) that you have with you at all times the receipt that shows your purchase of them. A couple of banks where I cashed them in Cairo required the receipt. Also, if you are going with a tour group, it's possible that your guide (like mine) will cash them for you at the going rate. Now that was a life saver as we had zero contact with any banks once we started on the Nile cruise.

Apr 22nd, 2001, 06:52 AM
Karen

I would also recommend taking traveler's checks. Although we did use an ATM in Cairo and Aswan, it's the only place we remember seeing ATM's in site. If you're with a tour group, your guide will be able to help. Although, if you're with a group where most is paid for in advance, you may not need much more cash. Have a great trip!!!

Apr 22nd, 2001, 06:48 PM
gail

Just returned from Egypt today. Saw only one ATM - it was out of order. Take some Egyptian pounds with you. US dollars accepted at a lot of places, credit cards OK. Travelers checks for back-up.

Search this Thread