True Driving times/Zagora or Essauoira

Aug 23rd, 2001, 02:44 PM
RMarceda

True Driving times/Zagora or Essauoira

Planning a trip to Marrakesh in October and want to drive through the Atlas to Zagora. I know the distances but was more curious about the actual driving times from Marrakesh to Ouazarate and Ouazarate to Zagora. Can it be realistically done in a day? Any suggestions? Should I just got to Essaouira instead?

Aug 23rd, 2001, 04:07 PM
texasgirl

Hi, Yes, you can probably do the drive from marrakech to zagora in one day, if you didn't stop anywhere for long _ but that's the best part of the drive. you definitely can't do the round trip in one day. It is what, maybe three or four hours just to Ouarazate (sorry for spelling). Also, just curious, why do you want to go to zagora rather than merzouga?

If you can make the time, I definitely would recommend a sahara trip over essaouira, which I didn't like much. I know lots of people love E., but i found it touristy, overpriced and just not as pleasant as the other places in morocco we visited.

Aug 24th, 2001, 02:11 PM
rmarceda

Merzouga was my first choice but I thought it would be a much further trip. I figured I could probably see the same sort of sahara sand dunes outside Zagora. I am also curious as to the Draa river valley but if Merzouga is a better idea than Zagora I am open to suggestions.

Aug 25th, 2001, 06:46 AM
texasgirl

We didn't go to Zagora but met people who did, and they all liked Merzouga better. Apparently the dunes are much more dramatic at Merzouga. I don't think Merzouga is that much further, maybe an hour or two. Just as a point of comparison, we took a tour that did Merzouga, stopping in the one of the gorges (Todra, i think) overnight rather than Ouarzazate, and it took three days/two nights. The same group ran four day//three night trips that went to both zagora and merzouga. We wanted to go to the draa valley also but ran out of time. Hopefully you'll find someone who has been to both and who can give you more helpful information than me... good luck!

Search this Thread