Search

Israel and Jordan 9 days in June

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Israel and Jordan 9 days in June

Hi there,
I am planning a trip to Israel and Jordan from the 21st of June to the 1st of July.
I would like to know if you can recommend us an itinerary.
We are catholic couple in our thirties.
I was interested to visit Jerusalem (at least a couple of days), Tel Aviv, dead sea,
Other places I would be interested: Nazareth (do we need 1 day or half day?), same for Bethlehem.
Reading in the forum I found that the north (Golan) is very nice, also Eilat.

I want to go to Jordan mainly to go to Petra, not sure if one day will be enough or two. I guess I will need to stay the night in a city closer to Jordan in order to go to Petra early in the morning or will be best to sleep in Jordan the previous night?

I know we have no many days and this is our first time to Israel and Jordan so any recommendation will be very appreciated.
I also would like to know if will be better to flight to Tel Aviv and return to the UK from Tel Aviv as well, or should I think about other airports?

We want to travel by our own, but was thinking that maybe for some places we can take a tour for the day, for Jordan for example.

Which will be the best way to move around Israel?
Thanks in advance,
Ines
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 04:01 AM

Glad to hear you are coming to Israel, however, as you no doubt realize your time will be short. Do the dates you mentioned include travel time or is that your time on the ground here?

In any case, for such a relatively short trip I would suggest skipping Eilat and also skipping Petra and leaving them for another time.

To answer some of your other questions TLV is the only international airport in Israel (with the exception of some charters) so that is the airport you will use.

You can easily travel around and tour Israel on your own.

If you really want to include Petra you will need to allocate at least 2 days for that - you will need to travel down to Eilat in order to cross the border. There are highly recommended group tours from Eilat to Petra - but as I said, including travel time you need at least two days.

Nazareth and Bethlehem each need only half a day. I would suggest that you spend 2-3 days in the north so you can see other religious and historic sites in addition to Nazareth - for example all the sites near the Sea of Galilee.

In the major cities there is no need for a car, you can walk, take public transit or taxis. In the north it is a good idea to rent a car as public transportation is not that convenient and does not get everywhere you will want to go.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 06:46 AM

I am doing a similar trip in June but have 14 days. From the UK you can fly Easyjet to Amman and home either Easyjet to Luton or Jet2 to Manchester from Tel Aviv (or vice versa).

You could go from Amman to Petra by bus stay 2 nights also visiting Wadi Rum (IMHO better than Petra although Petra is also brilliant). Cross the boarder to Eilat and take a bus to Jerusalem. You won't have a lot of time to do all the things you want to do but at least as you are in Jerusalem you will have a huge number of Christian sights on your doorstep.

Fly back to the UK from Tel Aviv.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 10:35 AM

cambe--the OP is asking about a trip to Israel and a side trip to Jordan to see Petra. You are basically describing a trip to Jordan with a side trip to Jerusalem. While what you describe may be fine it does not in any way, manner or form respond to the OPs question.
I have been posting on forums for a long time. Generally the etiquette seems to be you don't switch the poster to a different country!
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for your replies!
I was checking flights prices and went up, but found out that flight tickets to and from Amman are much cheaper.
How long will take to go from Amman to Petra? Bus will be the best way to travel from Amman to Petra? I think I will need to pay for my visa at the airport in Jordan, right? after Petra I can go to Israel and flight back to the UK from Tel Aviv.
I was considering to flight back from Amman (as the tickets are half price) but I think it will be too complicated and time consuming to cross the border again, am I right?
Either if I choose Tel Aviv or Amman to flight in and out, flights arrive around 8 pm on Thursday 21st and return flights leave around 8 pm on 1st of of July, so I am considering 9.5 days.

Many thanks again!
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 12:51 PM

inediazg, Amman to Petra is 4hours but I think you would need to sty overnight in Amman and take the 06.30am bus the following morning. The bus is the Jett bus.

http://www.your-guide-to-aqaba-jorda..._to_petra.html

http://www.your-guide-to-aqaba-jorda...-schedule.html

You would pay for your visa in Amman and then when you cross to Isreal you would get an Israeli visa. The cost of flights are cheaper from Amman BUT only if you are visiting Jordan and not Israel.

If you were to go back to Jordan from Israel you would have to pay the Israeli exit tax and buy another visa for Jordan which would work out more expensive than flying home from Israel. Add on to than the inconvenience and it is a no brainer!!

Go home from Tel Aviv.

Sorry can't help with the rest of your itinerary - perhaps Elkas might be able to help you with your 6 days in Israel.

Have a good trip.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 01:10 PM

Elkaz, The OP asked about a trip to Israel and Jordan in June. He/she also asked about return travel from the UK.

I am not an expert on Israel as I will not be visiting until June myself but I do know about good value flights from the UK.

If wanting to visit Jordan (Petra) and Israel it is IMHO more economical to fly into one and out of the other. My suggestion was 2 days 3 nights in Jordan and 6 nights in Israel. I don't understand how I was describing a trip to Jordan with a side trip to Israel.

As an expert for Israel perhaps you could help the OP by suggesting an itinerary for 6 days in Israel.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 12:56 PM

Inezdiag, you should visit Tiberius and go to Capernum and other Christian sites in the area. I would skip tel Aviv. Two days is needed to visit Petra and it is best done from Eilat. I'm not sure how many days you would want in Jerusalem but 2 would be the minimum. You don't need a car in Jerusalem but if you go to tiberius and Golan a car would be the best way to go.
Enjoy your trip
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 01:04 PM

Cambe
I have not been to Wadi Rum but have been to Petra. It is one of the worlds best sites to visit. From what I've read wadi Rum is beautiful desert scenery no structures of historical importance. Petra, however is a city built in the rocks and has been a very wealthy city in the past. There is no airport in tel Aviv Ben Gurion is between Jerusalem and tel Aviv.