Trip to Pretoria in March

Sep 13th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Trip to Pretoria in March

Hi all,
My girlfriend, sister, and I are planning a 10-day trip to Pretoria in March to visit friends. We really want to do a cool safari side trip. Does anyone know of any? Any other suggestions on what we MUST see while we are there? Also, what is the weather like that time of year?
Sep 15th, 2003, 09:19 PM

Hi

A couple of thoughts:

The safari first. As you have a few days, you may consider to go to Kruger Park. The downside is that it is about 4 - 5 hours' drive there. You can, however, fly there. Much closer is Pilanesberg in the other direction and close to Sun City. If time could be an issue, I would recommend the latter.

Whilst in Pretoria, you can visit the Voortrekker Monument and the Union Buildings in one day.

Although I have not been there yet, the open diamond mine in Cullinan, just outside Pretoria, is the largest open working diamond mine in the world(?).

The weather at that time of the year is excellent. No worries there.

I would also consider a guided trip to Soweto.

Enjoy your trip.

Sep 16th, 2003, 04:42 AM

worth while to make the trip to the Cullinan mine..about the only working mine that permits visitors. While you never really get close to diamonds, you get an idea of the vastness of the mines and see the biggest hole in the ground...and exactly where the largest diamond in the world was found. Try to do the underground tour which is offered the first Friday of every month..Unfortunately, although we had tickets for the underground tour, we were advised at the mine that Nicky Oppenhiemer (head of DeBeers) decided to visit THAT ONE DAY and they shut down the underground tour. So Nicky who lives in Johannesburg got to "tour" his mine..but those of us from Great Britan, the Unites States and Australia had to make do with the above ground tour. Still it was worth it.

Search this Thread