Trip to Morocco and spain

Jan 17th, 2003, 05:34 PM
Sanjiv Kuray

Trip to Morocco and spain

We are planning to take a conducted tour to Morocco and Spain during september through November. During the Ramazan month (i.e. September, is everything closed in Morocco? Is there a problem eating outside? Also, I would like to know what is the weather like in November in Spain and Morocco. Does it rain, if does, how much? Also, what is the temperature in November in Madrid and and Marakesh in November. I will appreciate if anyone can give feedback.

Jan 18th, 2003, 07:02 PM
sandra

Sanjiv:
I have been in Morocco during ramadan and it is not very much fun. Mostly everything stops during the day, cafes are closed , shops are closed most of the day and things don't really start up until the breaking of the fast, which takes place at sunset.
It is not as strict as the UAE is durring ramadan but it is an Islamic country. Even the Casablanca Hyatt took the liquor out of our mini bar in our room. I am Italian Catholic and my husband is Asian Indian and even though my husband was raised Islamic he doe not practice, but we were still subjected to Isl;amic Law during ramadan. I would try and schedule this trip sot that you are not in Morocco during Ramadan.

Jan 20th, 2003, 12:52 PM
Jonathan

I was in Morroco during Ramadan and everything seemed to go ok. Its true that many places are closed during the day, but lots of places are also open, plus its kind of neat at night when all the people come out and celebrate. As for eating, most restaurants are closed, but again, some stay open. Its probably more polite to not eat in front of lots of people. I just went to a small shop and bought some bread and cheese, or whatnot, and took in back and ate in my hotel. As for alchoolhal, best to avoid it during this time. I think the weather will be very nice in september, and it will get gradually cooler in october and november. It mostly rains, and occasionally gets cold enough to snow, but probably not till January. Take both warm and cool clothes. Actually your probably leaving at just the right time, right before it starts to rain everyday. Have fun, Ramandan is a great time, makes things a little more interesting, if not challenging sometimes, but I think you'll like it, great experience.
Jon

Search this Thread