TRIP TO MOROCCO

Sep 3rd, 1996, 02:20 PM
andrew

TRIP TO MOROCCO

I spent six weeks in Morocco a couple of years ago. My first reaction while reviewing your itinerary was that you have bitten off too much. To see all those cities in 10 days requires traveling at breakneck speed. You may want to pare your itinerary down to a more manageable size. I would consider omitting Casablanca altogether--in my view it's the least interesting of the major cities you cite. If you do go to Rabat, be sure to head across the river (take one of the little ferries) to Sale and explore the medina there. It's far more authentic and interesting than Rabat's. Meknes and Fez are both fascinating, but Fez has more immediate attraction for a visitor on a tight schedule. Marrakech is probably the most vibrant of any of the cities you will visit, despite the constant irritation caused by persistent touts. The trip over the Atlas mountains to Ouarzazate from Marrakech is unforgettable, too, although Ouarzazate itself has little to recommend it (there's a Club Med there). The trip to Erfoud and the huge sand dunes is long but beautiful. Take the time to explore the Gorge du Todra or the other gorge whose name escapes me right now. The dunes themselves are amazing but it is something of a three-ring circus, with hundreds of tourists zipping in in Land Rovers to see the sunrise or sunset, ride a camel, and then leave. If you don't mind roughing it, plan to spend the night out at the dunes, when the place is empty and at its most compelling. Hope you have a good trip.

Sep 13th, 1996, 06:52 PM
Gary Muth

Sounds like a great trip to me! I'm envious. I used to spent a lot of time in Morrocco, but haven't been there in years. The cities, for the most part, are pretty interesting. Fez is sorcery. Casablanca's a big bore. You might like to check out Goulimine at the edge of the desert. Lots of atmosphere. Tan Tan's still warm enough to swim into November. You reaslly don't need my advice. Just go and have a good time. It's hard not to.

Oct 9th, 1996, 01:49 PM
Sharon

How I envy you ! I was in Morrocco for three weeks in 1986, and had a great time.I travelled by local buses, so your trip will be a little easier.I agree with one of the other rwesponses in that you have bitten off a little more than what is feasable. I would omit Casablance(we landed there, and left the next morning). Ouarzazate has absolutely nil to offer, but thr trip through the mountains from Marakesch is great.Marakesh is a must see.On your way between Marakesh and Casa. stop at a little town named Essouira, a great place.I have won some photo contests with my pictures taken there(the sunsets over the ocean are unbelievable).Have a great time, Sharon

Feb 2nd, 1997, 08:11 PM
Craig Poole

I have heard that Cueta, Spanish Morocco is an interesting place to visit. Any info?

Feb 27th, 1997, 06:45 AM
Leila Friedman

Very interested in going to Morocco at end of June
with my husband for 15 or 16 days.
Would like to see Casablanca, Fes, Marakesh, Rabat,
and Agadir.
What can you offer?
Thank you,
Leila Friedman

Feb 27th, 1997, 01:20 PM
Andrew

An earlier message asked about Ceuta. Ceuta is a tiny Spanish enclave on the coast of Morocco. I took a ferry there from Algeciras back in 1994. I didn't see anything in particular that would made me want to stay there long. A lot of travelers use it as a last spot to buy alcohol before heading into Morocco. As I said in an earlier message, I wouldn't bother spending much time in Casablanca--it's not the romantic city suggested by the movie of the same name. You're much better off concentrating on Fes and Marrakech. Try to spend some time in the High Atlas, too. They are spectacular, particularly the drive from Marrakech to Ouarzazate and the trip up the Gorges du Todra. Hope you have a wonderful trip

May 14th, 1997, 08:06 PM
Mark

I appreciate the good advice on visiting Morocco. I have the trip of a lifetime planned for mid June. Im going to Casablanca, then Marrakech and Agadir for 10 days before traveling to the Veneto region of Italy where Ill be in school for one month. No one commented much on Agadir? Has anyone been and what did you think? Im very excited about Marrakech and really could stay there the entire trip. Im really the type that would prefer to get to know one or two places intimately well, rather than trying to squeeze all the places in. Did I select the two cities well?

May 15th, 1997, 07:48 AM
Eleanore

If you read the above messages I believe you will have a good idea on Morocco. Casablanca isn't worth your time or effort. I was there 2 years ago and plan to go back to Marrakesh. The people are lovely and love seeing Americans as few do get to that particular city. Spend your time in Marrakesh, hire a small taxi and ask the driver to take you around to do sight seeing. The market place at night is a blast. Most of all ENJOY! Do be careful of guides taking you into the market place as they get a percentage if you buy things and you are hasseled. Aside from that you will have a lovely time and the food is terrific. I'm an ex-SHOWME, too.

Apr 15th, 2000, 02:58 PM
susanna

we are planning a trip to marrakesh and agadir in may. can anyone tell me about the weather in agadir at that time of the year. also, is anyone familiar with the hotel pullman mansour in marrakesh or the caribbean club tamlelt in agadir.
is there anything you would recommend to do with children aged 5 and 3? Thank you for any suggestions.

Apr 19th, 2000, 09:20 AM
elvira

Marrakesh is a very intense city, so be prepared for an assault on all five senses. Unless you plan to spend your whole trip at the hotel, by the pool, your kids might be overwhelmed if you aren't ready (example: beggars, often maimed, are around - the streets aren't teeming with them, mind you, but they do exist and could cause consternation for kids who've never seen crippled people). Hire a guide in Marrakesh through your hotel or the tourist office; s/he is worth the $25 or so for all the history and information they possess. They'll guide you through the medina, pointing out things you'd miss on your own.
In Marrakesh, hire a horse-drawn carriage to take you around the city; ask your guide or at the hotel where you can ride a camel; visit the Jmaa El Fna in the evening to see the snake charmers, musicians, etc.

Search this Thread