Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   trip to Africa (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/trip-to-africa-291423/)

shb Jan 24th, 2008 01:53 PM

trip to Africa

6-8 of us (from Washington, DC area) are planning our first sub-saharan African trip. We want to do Safari, and beaches for diving. We have about 2 weeks (as many of US workers do!) we are aged 35-40. I was curious if anyone knew of any "socially responsible" tour groups/contacts...as we want to ensure we are supporting African people. We are okay with the camping etc. (well most of us anyway!) yet of course, safety first. We are well traveled couples. thanks!

MyDogKyle Jan 24th, 2008 02:29 PM

Are you considering Tanzania? You might want to contact Green Footprint Adventures in Arusha. They planned a wonderful trip for us last October -- a good combination of tented camps and lodges, with day and night game drives, hiking, canoeing, a walking safari, time spent in a local (not touristy) village, and beach time on Zanzibar. We're also in our mid-30s and pretty active, so we thought GF was a perfect fit for us.

If you're thinking of Kenya, I'd highly recommend Eastern & Southern Safaris, in Nairobi. Both companies have good websites and are easy to work with via e-mail.

shb Jan 25th, 2008 07:22 AM

thank you, we are considering Tanzania, I appreciate the information! We are not looking at Kenya currently considering the political unrest.

ShayTay Jan 25th, 2008 07:44 AM

I use Kibo Guides, which is owned and run by local Tanzanians, chief among them, Willy Chambulo. They also use several camps and lodges that were built by their affiliated company, Tanganyika Wildness Camps: Maramboi Camp at Tarangire, Ngorongoro Farmhouse near the Crater, and mobile tented camps in the Serengeti. They also have outstanding guides, such as Peter Njau and Allen Mnyenye. I've gone with them three times and would recommend them.

sandi Jan 25th, 2008 08:54 AM

shb -

When do you plan to travel?
Determines where in Tanzania is best

What kind of budget have you allocated, not including Int'l air.

Camping comes in all flavors, from budget with hole in the ground toilets and cold water showers; moves up from there, to pure luxury.

luangwablondes Jan 25th, 2008 06:47 PM

Check out the dive spots too. Zanzibar is ok. Pemba and the island off Kilwa- Mafia Island- is better. I always went up to Nungwi, but that was because of the friends that head there. More of a party atmosphere depending on your lodging. Had some excellent whale shark dives. They seem fairly mellow about all the divers chasing them. I managed to plant myself several times so they had to swim around, or over me. Other then that, was not impressed. I am told there are better places.

PredatorBiologist Jan 26th, 2008 06:51 AM

Take a look at Mozambique for your diving and beach time. If you safari in Tanzania I believe you can fly via Dar es Salam to the Quirimbas in Northern Mozambique for outstanding diving, sea kayaking, beach, etc.

If you safari in Southern Africa you could easily fly via Joburg to the Bazaruto Archapelago in Mozambique.

As Sandi asked, I think seasonal time and budget will determine your best options.

PredatorBiologist Jan 26th, 2008 06:55 AM

No edit function! Sorry for spelling should be Dar es Salaam and Archipelago

sandi Jan 26th, 2008 01:33 PM

I'm not familiar with Mozambique, but we're still waiting to learn "when" the group is traveling.

However, I'm with luangwablondes - Pemba, Mafia and Kilwa - are great dive alternatives to Zanzibar

LAleslie Jan 26th, 2008 04:26 PM

For for sub-Saharan safaris, it's hard to beat the Sabi Sands game reserve in South Africa. CCAfrica camps are well-received and run by a non-profit conservation org. that works with local communities. And if you want luxury (and air-conditioning in the hot months) and superb game-viewing, they are first-rate.
ccafrica.com