Trip Report Western Desert Part IV

Mar 11th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Trip Report Western Desert Part IV

The Nile Cruise was the only part of the trip where I felt that I was being herded.

Sharm al Sheikh is a resort area built around amazing coral reefs. It's not particularly Egyptian. It's a honeymoon destination for young Arabs from all over the Mid-East. It was the first time on the trip that I had the opportunity to speak with Arabic women. The honeymooners all spoke English and had good jobs.

By the time I returned to Cairo I felt comfortable wandering around the city on my own with a car and driver. Kim (from the Western Desert part of the trip) and I got together a few times. It was sad when my Emeco rep, Waleed, dropped me off at the airport.

Mar 12th, 2005, 12:11 AM

Thanks for posting this report. It was very interesting to hear about a different aspect of Egypt as most travellers are focused on the Nile Cruise etc.
Mar 12th, 2005, 04:26 AM
sandi

Sunshine -
Very interesting. Surprising that you went out with only one vehicle. From what I've read, most of these adventures go out into the deserts with a second vehicle (just in case), carries supplies, tents, food and your own petrol. Did you take the Med Coast road to Siwa and then investigate the desert from that area into the White and Black deserts returning towards the Nile for the cruise portion of your trip. How long (many days) were you in the desert?

Suggestion - that you keep your trip reporr together; easier for you to add to and read comments from those who post.

If you're planning to relocate/move to Egypt, what do you plan to do once over there? You might want to contact an ex-pat American Debbie Senter (believe that's her last name) who runs an interesting in-country tour outfitter. You can reach her at

http://www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net/
she more than likely has some of the ins/outs of moving to/living in Egypt.

Thanks for your report... it's something that I find very interesting and will put on my list of "places to visit" - off the beaten track!

Mar 13th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Sandi, We had one Jeep since there were only 3 of us (guide & 2 passengers)and basically stayed on the road. The third person was added in case of emergency -- if something happened to us one of us, one would go for help and the other stay with the injured person. Tents, petrol, etc. are the norm when traveling camping and traveling off road more extensively.

We spent 5 days and left from Cairo directly to Baharya, then through Farfara, Dakhla, Al-Karga and I was dropped off in Luxor. Towards the end of the trip, I realized that I wanted to stay longer and camp in Siwa and environs, but the government red tape requires 15 days to get a permit for desert travel, so I couldn't do that. So I stayed longer in Sharm and spent an additional 6 days in Cairo.

Thanks for the info regarding working in Cairo.

Search this Thread