trip report tanzania serengeti

Old Nov 11th, 2005, 02:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trip report tanzania serengeti

Hi guys, I am back, Had a great safari, stayed for 7 nights in serengeti. Saw 84 different lions in different territories, 8 cheetahs and 3 leopards. Saw part of the migration in northern serengeti and between seronera and mbuzi mawe. Sonali.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 07:30 AM
bat

welcome back--looking forward to more details.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 08:01 AM

Great! You should post under the thread asking what is happening with the migration?
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 09:03 AM

Sounds like a successful safari. I'm happy you had a good time. Did you stay in both the Lobo and Seronera valley areas? And did you go to any other parks while you were there?

Thanks, Sonali!
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Hi, I stayed for 3 nights at seronera wildlife lodge and 3 nights at lobo wildlife lodge and then again stayed at seronera wildlife lodge for a day and my last day I spent at ngorongoro serena,taking an afternoon tour into the crater. I saw loads and loads of lions in different territories. Here is my detailed trip report,
29th oct I flew into seronera area and had a evening game drive, saw 1 limping lioness alone, 1 lioness stalking zebras, 1 beautiful male lion scratching it paws and scent marking his territory and on the way back to the lodge saw a pride of 9 lions with cubs, one female had a radio collar on

30th oct, Saw the 9 lion pride again and very close by saw a male and female mating twice. Also saw a group of 8 lioness resting under the shade of a tree.Saw a cheetah very close in the morning
31st oct Saw a pride of 17 lions,with cubs(the limping lioness was a part of that group), saw a lonely female lioness and 2 male lions resting separately, also saw the pride of the 8 lioness again, Saw 3 cheetahs, one
sitting on a rock.In the evening saw another cheetah resting under a tree

1st nov had an early morning game drive in seronera,did not see much, left for lobo, saw the migration in between, also saw a cheetah cross the road. Saw a pride of 14 lions on the other side of the river next to the lobo lodge. Also saw a lion cub abandoned by hunting mother, we followed it and reported to the rangers, next day found it with the pride on our side of the river with a pride of 18 lions,including 2 beautiful males who had made a buffalo kill.
2nd nov, saw the buffalo kill made by the lions on our side of the river. saw a cheetah early in the morning and drove to sand river gate to trace the migration. Drove to the mara river in extreme north serengeti and saw some scattered herds of the migration. Saw 3 lioness on the way back to the lobo lodge near kleins camp.
3rd nov early morning game drive did not see much only the lions on the buffalo, went back to the lodge, found out people had spotted our earlier pride of 14 lions on the other side of the river and a leopard, went to see it and saw the leopard in a tree between the two pride of lions
4th nov heard lions close to the lodge in the morning, saw a lioness on a early game drive stalking buffalo, left for seronera and arrived to see a leopard jump out of a tree, followed it for 100 meters, then saw another leopard in a tree close to the first leopard.Again saw the same lions
5th nov drove to the moru koojpes and on route saw a pride of 8 lions among them 2 beautiful males, they crossed the road right in front of us and also saw a male lion near the naabi gate.
enterered the ngorogoro crater in the afternoon saw a pride of 7 lions, a yound adult male lion around 3 years was following a cheetah for about 1 kilometer, it was fascinting to watch
saw a female rhino with a calf.Sonali.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Hello this is my trip report, hope u like it
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 03:11 PM

You really saw the cats! A mother and baby rhino in the crater is very fortunate too. Can you give us the dates you went and the land operator?
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 03:22 PM

Thanks Sonali. So many cats! I’m feeling sorry for the cheetah that was followed by a lion. It must have been stressful. Did you see any snakes?
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 03:58 PM

Welcome back-wow! so many lions-how exciting! Glad you had a great time, when are you going back???
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Guys I was with sunny safaris. Yaa I really saw soooo many cats. I love cats,it is for this reason alone I stayed at seronera wildlife lodge for 4 nights. If u look at the lion research reports then in the circular area around seronera there are 5 huge different prides of lions. I think each would have around 20-30 lions. I was there in october end on the 29th,30th,31st october in seronera and on the 1st 2nd 3rd in lobo on the 4th I again stayed at seronera, 5th I was at ngorongoro and then back to arusha.Actually the cheetah was playing with the lion. It would approach the lion and then rest till the lion got aggressive and then would run away. Again the cheetah kept doing the same thing, till the lion followed it out of his territory. Well I did not see any snakes, I was not looking. Somehow they give me the creeps(sorry), I am planning on going in feb to see the migration.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 04:53 PM

Fascinating cheetah-lion encounter. Must have been a very bold cheetah.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

ya an extremely bold cheetah. It was amazing to watch.