Help me choose a camping safari company

Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me choose a camping safari company

My husband and I want to do a budget camping safari of about 3 weeks with a small group, including all highlights of Namibia, possibly going as far as Victoria Falls, in June. We are not young kids, but are still very nimble. There are so many offers on the net and no reviews of the companies that we are unsure of which tour company to go with. We'll be thankful for any help you can provide.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 03:12 AM

Hi - don't know which companies you have found on the net. I have travelled in Africa with Guerba and Exodus in Asia (both excellent) but not to Namibia. My trip there was with Phoenix Expeditions - and that was good too.

You need to be more specific about your needs, and what does "budget" mean to you?

You could also check out Explore Worldwide - do a google as I don't have the exact URL.

Happy travels.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks alice13. By 'budget' we are hoping to pay no more than $US3000 per person for 3 weeks, excluding flights to and from Namibia or South Africa. I hope this would be doable.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 10:57 AM

Look at Karibu Safaris. We traveled with them many years ago and loved it. I think they have an itinerary like what you're looking for.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 05:22 AM
P_M

A friend of mine went with Guerba a couple of years ago and she loved it. Check out this web site. This gives info on Guerba and other such tour companies.

www.adventurecenter.com
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 05:38 AM

This is supposed to be a very good company, and the prices look outstanding. If you are open to Zambia, have a look at this:

www.chachachasafaris.com
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 01:06 PM

I can also recommend Karibu, if they go to Namibia (I'm not sure). We did a camping safari with them in Botswana in 2003, and it was superb.
www.karibu.co.za
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 03:33 PM

Try this company
www.africanadrenalin.co.za
The operators are camping/4x4 fanatics and love what they do. They can tailor the trip to you. Have no idea what it costs. But be nice if you let me know after they give you a quote or make suggestions on what your trip will entail. The cheaper ones are trucks with kids normally in the 20-30 age bracket. Try to find something using 4x4's. They should know the places to camp and go without the crowd. I've have travelled extensively and independently through East and Southern African in my own 4x4.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 03:50 PM

Here are some more attractive packages that I came across:

http://www.tagasafaris.co.za/explorations-safaris.htm
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 04:56 PM

ttt
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

After a lot of searching and note taking I settled on Outback Africa Safaris (www.outbackafrica.com). We did their 24 day Cape Town to Vic Falls trip which was a huge success. Excellent driver/guide who was knowledgeable and efficient, a good cook and an excellent driver. All the equipment supplied was of good quality - tents, chairs, cutlery, dishes, and wonderfully thick dense foam mattresses.
The wildlife viewing was amazing. All the activities were delivered as promised - the Okavango Delta trip and boat cruise on the Chobe River were exceptional, as were the waterholes in Etosha. The white water rafting on the Zambezi (optional activity) was well worth the mental and physical price. Awesome!!I recommend the Outback Africa Safari company 100%. My thanks to everyone who provided advice.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention that we were 10 clients plus the driver. Vehicle was a LandRover with an extra row of seats - quite comfortable and very good visibility from any seat. It was also very good in deep sand as we witnessed at the Nata Lodge when looking for our campsite for the night.