Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Trip report; private reserves @ Kruger. Pt.1: Africa On Foot (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/trip-report-private-reserves-kruger-pt-1-africa-on-foot-864744/)

pixelpower Oct 29th, 2010 03:33 AM

Trip report; private reserves @ Kruger. Pt.1: Africa On Foot

Africa On Foot is in Klaserie NR, near Kruger, South Africa.

As usual I put some pics in the report (even video this time), so the real report is here:

http://aardvarktravel.net/chat/viewtopic.php?t=47589

...but feel free to comment or ask any questions here in this thread on Fodors. I'll be glad to answer them.

Ciao,

J.

wildwings Oct 29th, 2010 10:24 AM

pixelpower, nice trip report, thanks for sharing. Some super pics you took! I love the one of the lion shaking its head. Pin-sharp, yet you can feel the motion. Also nice wide angle shots of the camp. Good to hear a positive trip report about Africa on Foot from someone who "gets" the camp and what it is about.
Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

moneyburns Oct 29th, 2010 01:30 PM

You explained the walking safari to a "t". We always enjoy ours as it gives us so much time to talk to our guides, learn quite a bit about the habits of animals; enjoying the landscape and botanical talk. It is a different side of the typical safari and I don't think many people know how enlightening it can be. Thanks for explaining how it works, and sharing your pics; they were very good - and the funny lion video - typical male...:)
I will look forward to the remainder of the report!

MoneyB

mcwomble Oct 29th, 2010 01:43 PM

Excellent report, thanks, and wonderful, wonderful photos. Many thanks for sharing.

christabir Oct 29th, 2010 03:54 PM

Wow - great report. I appreciate the detail. Looking forward to the next installment.

Treepol Oct 29th, 2010 05:46 PM

Pixelpower,

thanks for this great report. I like the sound of the walking safaris and am impressed with the knowledge you gained at AOF. The photos are wonderful, I liked the lion shaking his mane and the giraffe with oxpeckers.

Cheers,

Pol

ekscrunchy Oct 30th, 2010 06:12 AM

Wonderful! Many thanks.

canadian_robin Oct 30th, 2010 06:41 AM

You have some wonderful photos. I was especially interested to read about your night in the tree house, as we will be spending a night in the elephant hide at Kaingo Camp in SLNP (which is perched up in a tree overlooking a waterhole) next October. I anticipate that it will be a highlight of our trip. Robin

HariS Oct 30th, 2010 07:07 AM

Hi Jochen,

Glad you had a fantastic time.... look forward to the rest of your report and most definitely, more fabulous pics.

Regards
Hari

pixelpower Oct 31st, 2010 01:06 AM

Thx all.

I'll try to discuss one lodge per week now. So you'll soo all know about (our time at) Shindzela, Elephant Plains, Pungwe and Nyati.

B.regs,

J.

atravelynn Nov 2nd, 2010 11:27 PM

Thanks for an exciting report. I liked your comment that most of the excitement is between your ears--so true at night in the dark in a treehouse.

Wonderful photo of the oxpecker on the giraffe.

What a difference in lion behavior when humans are on foot vs. in a vehicle. So relaxed with the vehicle and very timid when we get out.

I'd like to stay at a place that caters to honey badgers as guests.

Looking forward to your other lodges. You covered a lot of ground on this trip.

Nelson Nov 3rd, 2010 12:17 PM

Great stuff pixelpower, the TR and photos. Really appreciate the information. You've got a great eye for photos.

By the way, the link to your photo page at the top of your TR is broken - the trail comma is included in the link.

pixelpower Nov 4th, 2010 06:30 AM

Thx Nelson, I corrected that.

spassvogel Nov 6th, 2010 02:12 PM

"I'd like to stay at a place that caters to honey badgers as guests."

You should check with KING'S CAMP/Timbavati! There a HB visits regularly the (kitchen) bin ;-)

((@))

moremiles Nov 6th, 2010 03:25 PM

Very interesting details and your photos are stunning!

Kavey Nov 6th, 2010 03:41 PM

Really enjoying it so far, and love the photos. That one of the lion shaking it's head, I agree, is amazing. And the ox peckers on the giraffe, one in the air... just lovely.

Percy Nov 6th, 2010 08:12 PM

Very Good !

Nice report ,lovely pictures.

Once you have been to Africa , you never tire of looking at pictures like these.

Great job
Thanks for sharing with us

pault14 Dec 4th, 2010 09:47 AM

I am a retile kind of guy. You did not mention any snakes or lizards or chamelions or turtles. di you see any?? pt

pixelpower Dec 5th, 2010 01:57 AM

Hey Paul,

In the dry & winter season it's not always easy to see stuff like that.

We did not see any snakes, but I did find a complete skin of a boomslang (and brought it home, hehe).

Very few small lizards, although there were plenty of monitor lizards.

And only one chameleon. Got very nice pics of that one.

B.regs,

J.