Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Trip report + pictures: Duba Plains (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/trip-report-pictures-duba-plains-353810/)

skimmer May 2nd, 2008 02:14 PM

Trip report + pictures: Duba Plains

Hello everyone,

As promised you can find my trip report and some of my pics at the following link:

http://www.aardvarktravel.net/chat/v...=129617#129617

Enjoy,

Johan

VeeR May 2nd, 2008 02:36 PM

Johan -

Thank you so much for getting this report and your glorious photos up on line. Am leaving Monday and will be at Duba on the 13th for four days.
I printed out your report to read again and share with friends.
Excellent!!!

atravelynn May 2nd, 2008 02:39 PM

Your photos took me back to Duba. Nice to see Junior maturing. From your account he barely got out of a scrape. Hope he learns from it.

Your report was very informative on pride dynamics and the other animals at Duba.

I suppose you knew we all devour your photos when you post them. You now have hyenas to add as admirers.

Dana_M May 2nd, 2008 05:24 PM

Great photos (as usual), and a wealth of really good information. Your report is very informative and well laid out with lots of good factual information. I liked that you compared your experiences on this trip to prior trips to Duba. I'm not surprised that James is as enthusiastic as ever.

Both your trip report and photos show that there is still much to see and experience at Duba, even after the death of one of the Boys.

The photos made me nostalgic, and make me want to go back. Right now, I wish I were VeeR!

HariS May 2nd, 2008 06:37 PM

Lovely photos as usual, Johan - and nice report too!

Some stunning pics from the air as well!

Rgds
Hari

MisterAviator May 2nd, 2008 06:59 PM

Wow! Stupendous photos. You definitely saw a lot more at Duba than I did during a rainy 4-night visit in January. Your pictures make me want to return as soon as possible.

skimmer May 3rd, 2008 07:54 AM

Thanks everyone.

The coming months will be very interesting - personnally I don't think the remaining Duba boy will make it till the end of the year.

Best regards,

Johan

thit_cho May 3rd, 2008 08:07 AM

Great photos, especially the aardwolf, which I've seen (at Savuti camp), but not photographed.

I'd really like to see some aardwolves, brown and striped hyenas, but these are very tough.

cybor May 3rd, 2008 09:16 AM

What an incredible amount of birds you say. Was that your focus or were you in the right place at the right time?

Enjoyed your detailed report and well done photos.

KayeN May 3rd, 2008 09:08 PM

Hi Johan

Some lovely photos - unfortunately I could only get the photos down to the lion not interested in hunting, which is a shame as I was keen to see the birds.

Shame you missed out on the snake!

Kind regards

Kaye

roadwarriorafrica May 5th, 2008 04:26 AM

I will be in Duba first week of June for 4 nights. Tried to book the private vehicle, but was told it had been taken.

We wanted to spend the full day on safari. How many other guests do they have in the vehicle with you?

lisa May 5th, 2008 07:07 AM

Very nice report and gorgeous photos.

skimmer May 5th, 2008 08:31 AM

Cybor,

My main focus in Duba will always be the lions and buffalo. But that doesn't mean that I neglect all the rest.

I remember us spending several hours at places where lots of waterbids congegrate.

Roadwarriorafrica,

Normally, you will have two vehicles going out. This will be 3 in case anyone booked a private vehicle. So if the private vehicle is booked by two persons and you have a full camp, it can be something like this:

vehicle 1: 6 persons;
vehicle 2: 4 persons.

Kaye,

If you make use of the refresh button you should be able to see all the pictures.

Greetz,

Johan

Kavey May 5th, 2008 12:10 PM

Wow, I really like the way you laid out your camp and game viewing report.

I had no idea Duba was so good for aardwolf. We've only seen one in Namibia and the sighting was brief and from a distance.

Great photos, as always.