Kusini Tented Camp Serengeti

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are working on a plan for Tanz in Feb 2007. Had thought we would spend time in the Ndutu area. The operator we are talking has suggested splitting the Ndutu time with a few nights in Ndutu and a couple of nights in Kusini Tented Camp. We will also spend a couple of nights in central Serengeti. Any thoughts on whether or not to include Kusini???

Thanks in advance J
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 12:34 PM
bat

When you say split with time in Ndutu do you mean at the Ndutu lodge? or just in the area? If you mena the Ndutu lodge then there is a nice contrast between the two places. Ndutu lodge less expensive, permanent structures, not tented vs Kusini tented camp experience. Everyone who has posted here who has stayed at Kusini has liked it. When I priced it I thought it was very expensive, particularly what they charge in Feb--So I might suggest instead of the Ndutu lodge/Kusini split to consider one tof the seasonal tent camps. The Olakira/ Sayari/ Nomad etc in the area. Frankly, climbhigh's pictures of Sayari look better to me than Kusini--at a lower price.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 12:37 PM
bat

I hit post instead of edit--so I am lucky there are not more typos. I am sure that climbhigh will give you advice re any benefit of splitting the time between the areas (i.e. regardless of accommodations)
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 12:42 PM

jules,

Sounds like a good plan, and you'll be hedging your bets. I can't remember reading a lot about Kusini on this board (unless it just floated out of my brain), but I *think* LizFrazier was a little disappointed with it a couple of years ago...If I recall correctly, it had more to do with the migration than the camp. And we all know that's a gamble!

I do agree with bat, though, on the semi-perm camp angle. However, these are usually (?) quite pricey, and maybe your outfitter can't get you a good price. Or maybe you don't want to go that route--fair enough.

Sounds like it's going to be a great trip; please post the latest details.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 12:46 PM
bat

Leely and jules:
Kusini was as expensive(I think even more) than the seasonal camps--at least in Feb. They must be compensating for their relatively poor location the rest of the year.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 12:47 PM

jules,
This is the link to Liz's trip report. Looks like she was in the area about a month later than you two are planning, so...

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34593866
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 12:50 PM

D'oh. Sorry, jules, here's the correct link:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34595582
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

If I remember correctly it would cost us an extra $155 pppn to go to Kusini instead of Ndutu lodge. They did also suggest that we could just take drives in that direction if that is where the animals are and stay the whole time at Ndutu. Trying to keep the budget "resonable" but don't want to compromise the viewing. I love the tents but if I can stay an extra day or two on safari by just downing my accomidation a little then I would probably rather do that. Leely our trip has turned into Feb 2007 we decided we really want to return to Nth Tanz and spend a full 2 weeks in the area than we are hopefully heading to Rwanda to do some Gorilla trekking. It seems crazy to be planning it so far ahead but I have heard from this board that you have to do that to get the accomidations you want!

Thanks for any input it is greatly appreciated.
J
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link Leely
J
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 01:21 PM
sandi

There's never a guarantee exactly where the herds will be. Can be in the southeast where they're expected... can be as far north in the central area.

If you're fortunate enough to get space at Nduto lodge, I'd take it. Granted, it's rather basic, but is nice and not all that large for a lodge. Kusini and Olakira/Sayari will add to your expense (think where you can spend $350+ a night... another day at Ndutu). To keep within your budget grab Nduto.

Since you're going to be on a private safari, you'll be able to drive wherever the herds are; as Eben has said often, they can move hourly. You can go out when you want, where you want... even full day game drives. Just let your tour outfitter know what you would like and go from there.

Old Nov 30th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi that is exactly what we were thinking I guess I just wanted some opinions. We have no misconceptions that the animals will be exactly where they want to be it was just an option the op tossed in in her last email and was interested in any opinions.
Thanks again
J
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 03:47 PM

Hi Jules39,

I was in Kusini in February 2001. Nothing was wrong with the camp, but the position was awful for the animals that year. I had two nieces with me, and each day we drove 4 hours to see animals and 4 hours home, We saw virtually nothing on our 4 hour trip except mud and tsetse flies, We got into car trouble at least once a day being stuck in the mud. The gameviewing would have been about 1 hour a day - it was disappointing to the extreme!
The reason was that the rain was so excessive all the animals were scattered everywhere! We did get some good cheetah sightings, and a small part of a pride with one male and 2 females.
Rightly or wrongly, the whole experience has put me off Tanzania. The camp was fantastic and staff wonderful - but I am a gameviewing fanatic so this was a waste of a large amount of money as we had 4 nights at Kusini.

Kaye
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Kaye sorry that put you off Tanzania, you need a return visit to fix that just don't go to Kusini!! Seriously I appreciate your honest appraisal.
Thanks
J
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 06:29 PM

Hi Jules39,
Do not feel too sorry for me or my nieces as I have taken to the Sabi Sands area for the last few years and i absolutely love the gameviewing there, even though it does not suit everyone. One of the girls I took away in Jan/Feb 2001, has only had that gameviewing experience, so she returns to Africa on Dec 11 with me for 21 nights of gameviewing within the Sabi Sands. So I know she will have a great experience. And I am finally moving away from the Sabi Sands a bit, as next year for July I have just paid a deposit on returning to Botswana, where I went in September 2001 - a great gameviewing experience, but to me, still does not compare to Sabi Sands, but I wish to see some Sable and Roan antelope.
But there is no doubt, that due to nature and the rains, I was in the wrong place in Feb 2001.

Kaye
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 06:41 PM
bat

kaye:
I agree with you--we need not feel sorry for you at all! I only wish I had half of your wonderful trips as memories.