Trip report; Kruger area pt.5: Nyati beach lodge, Mozambique

Old Nov 25th, 2010, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip report; Kruger area pt.5: Nyati beach lodge, Mozambique

Nyati Beach Lodge is near Vilanculos, Mozambique

As usual I put some pics in the report, the real report is here:

http://www.aardvarktravel.net/chat/v...ic.php?t=47842

...but feel free to comment or ask any questions here in this thread on Fodors. I'll be glad to answer them.

Ciao,

J.

PS. previous parts of trip report are here:

1) Africa On Foot, Klaserie NR: http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...ca-on-foot.cfm

2) Shindzela, Timbavati NR: http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...-shindzela.cfm (WARNING: THIS ONE LACKS THE TRIP REPORT TAG)

3) Elephant Plains, Sabi Sands GR: http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...ant-plains.cfm

4) Pungwe bush camp, Manyeleti NR: http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...pt4-pungwe.cfm
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 05:48 AM

Looked like paradise to me. How long were you gone for this whole trip?
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Hey Lynn,

4x 3 nights plus 4 nights in Moz = 16 nights
...plus two red-eye flights.

B.regs,

J.
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 04:56 PM

Pixel - I LOVE your trip reports! Every time I read them I want to return to Africa even more!

I really like your itinerary and am in communication with Janelle at Sun Safaris. I am looking at 3-4 nights Capetown,3-4 nights Elephant Plains, a few nights under canvas and maybe a couple nights splurge (MalaMala). I don't want to be crude, but can I ask how much your safari cost you? My internet research show that I can do my safari around $k per person (group of 7) but Sun Safaris can't seem to match what I've found on the internet. I believe that you used Sun Safaris and was hoping that they would be a cost effective option for us.

At any rate please keep the trip reports and advice coming! I really enjoy them!

JazzDrew
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 04:57 PM

I really need to preview before I submit... please read that as $4k per person....
Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Hey Jazzdrew,

I actually contacted all lodges myself, and arranged everything myself (flights, lodges, transfers).

Now, since AOF is partly owned by Sun Safaris, I <was> actually dealing with them! lol But not for the whole trip.

The total amount I paid before I set foot on the first airplane was 8882,99€. But note that...
- that was not all, as there's still local entrance fees to pay, and tips, and souvenirs, and beverages etc...
- This includes all flights (local and international) and transfers as well.

I could start giving you the detail prices but it would not help you a lot I think. The prices have changed since last year, and the Rand was much weaker too when I booked.

We"re going back this year, and as this time there's two lodges of Sun Safaris on the list (nThambo, Umkumbe), so I decided to stick with them ic: let them make me an offer for the whole trip (including local flights and transfers).

However, I did calculate the trip as if I would book it all myself as well, and found out that it amounted to about the same.

So if you don't like arranging it all yourself (it IS a lot of work with payments & emails back & forth), then Sun Safari should be OK. It should not add that much to your bill, for the amount of effort & time you save.
I guess it also depends on what lodges you put in your itinerary. They probably can offer the best rates at the places where they are co-owner.

But if the the Sun Safari quote is much different from your own calculation; are you sure you are not comparing apples & oranges? Haven't you forgotten a cost?

Ciao,

J.
Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Uhm... perhaps I should mention that the amount above is for TWO people.