Trip Report- Kenya & Tanzania June 2008

Old Jun 27th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Report- Kenya & Tanzania June 2008

Hi All,

We just got back last Sunday. We had an absolutely amazing time. The first thing that comes to mind when I think about our trip is: when are we going back?

My trip report is a little different from everyone elses- it started off REALLY badly...

We had a little drama coming into the trip as our flight from SF to London was boarded, de-boarded because the toilets didn't work, finally boarded- arrived in London early morning. When we got there- we had already been assigned a new flight- there were no flights to Nairobi for 10 hours- so we spent a day walking down the Thames and checking out the tourist sites. We made the mistake of staying up all night in SF before we left so we were exhausted. We called the Micato emergency line to let them know that we were not going to make our flight- we called and there was a recorded message saying they were closed and working for habitat for humanity and if it was an emergency- press 1 (or pound or whatever), so we did... and it rang and rang and rang. No answer. We tried back a couple times. No luck. That made us a little nervous considering we had given our familys that same number for emergency's. We figured they would find out we had been re-routed and all would be ok. Skip 15 hours and we are in Nairobi... we arrive with nobody waiting for us... and none of our luggage. We end up tracking down Micato from the airport and we are picked up two hours later. Tired, exhausted- no sleep for two days...we sat in Nairobi traffic for two hours... we finally arrive at the Norfolk. The Norfolk was being renovated, so I didn't really see any beauty in the place. We were whisked in to a room where we were then told "we were late" over and over and that WE had held up the groups day. Everyone seemed very annoyed with us because they kept telling us we were supposed to arrive the night before. We apologized and never got a formal introduction to our safari. They told us if we couldn't go immediately we wouldn't be able to attend the days events- girraffe feeding, tea garden... I was so upset...we had been wearing our clothing from 2 days before... we joined the group to the places and we were only half there... my bf was sleeping in the van the whole time. The girraffe feeding zoo was great, the tea garden was great- but it was hard to put a smile on. We reached the Norfolk that evening and told our group that we were not going to make the dinner at the Pintos. We were told that was rude of us by the Micato staff. I felt awful.. I was so angry because no one understood. I gave up. We contacted the airlines (for $100 in phone calls) and I stressed to the staff that I needed our bags and they had arrived at the airport. We were assured someone would pick them up. "You will have them in the morning" They gave us an emergeny pack- with a t-shirt (size xl- i'm an xs), a toothbrush, and a wrap. At that point, I didn't care. I wanted to go to bed and cried myself to sleep thinking this was going to be a miserable trip.

I wish I could elaborate on the first day, but the truth is, it was so horrible, I couldn't even take it in.

We woke up the next morning and I put a happy face on. We walked out and asked our Micato friends what had come of our luggage. Blank stares... no one had gone to get our luggage... no one even seemed to know it was missing. This was a little upsetting. We were then told we'd get our bags in Amboseli.

We met our guide, Alfred and we got on a plane early in the morning and flew to Amboseli. On the plane I was so stressed out...I didn't know how I was going to deal without underwear/clean clothes/bug spray... and then it happened.... we flew into our dream, my dream, the reason why we came to Kenya/Tanzania... I knew at that point... nothing could go wrong... I didn't care about the luggage, the travel... this was going to be amazing... I couldn't catch my breath...

That was my first day in Africa. ONE DAY. I only started with the bad- because, well, that is what happened. I had such an amazing journey and I think it's important to see the whole story. What comes next? Well... I will post more soon. This was the best trip of my life.

Old Jun 28th, 2008, 02:12 AM

You have me hooked. I can't wait to read the rest. That does sound like an awful beginning but obviously the rest of the trip more than made up for it. BTW, We check into the Norfolk in two weeks. How inconvenient were the renovations? I was told they would be mainly completed by end of June. Of course, all construction takes longer than planned. Anyway, do please continue with your report.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 12:13 PM

Wow, that IS really a bad start! And, I must say, as Micato's biggest fan, that I am SO disapointed in Micato's unsympathetic reaction (to say nothing of the emergency number not working) to your not-your-fault delay. That must have been horrible for you being so tired and and upset and worried about your luggage to have someone rag on you! From the bottom of my heart I do hope that someone in charge at Micato has been told of your rather unpleasant welcome.

Anyways, I too am on the edge of my seat waiting for more!

Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 04:00 AM

More please...
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 04:40 PM

I hope to hear that Alfred helped turn it around for you. He was such an amazing guide, and a friend. I look forward to reading the next post!

Jvnoledawg
http://noledawg.blogspot.com
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 05:24 PM

I am sorry your trip started off so badly. The fact that it was still the "best trip of your life" means we have something wonderful to look forward to when reading your next installment. You are not alone in your desire to go back. That's what's on everybody's mind on this forum. Welcome to the "addicted to Africa" club.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 06:13 PM

The treatment you received from Micato is unacceptable. The emergency number stating they are working for Habitat for Humanity sounds like something from a comedy.

What a disappointment. One of the reasons people choose a company like Micato is in the very unlikely chance that problems like you had arise, you feel you can count on Micato to help you out.

What is really upsetting is that the whole group waits on the late arrivals. That's disconcerting to think your safari is dependent on other people not missing their flight. Again, with a company like Micato, I'd expect the late arrivals to be attended to separately and the group goes on with the itinerary with the late arrivals catching up. Of course it was not your fault that the planes didn't fly. If you had been picked up by Micato, you might have made up a little bit of that lost time.

Certainly delays of this nature are routine for a safari company. There should be procedures in place to make everything ok again.

Your 180 degree turnaround after arriving in Amboseli is really heartwarming. I was cheering you on at my computer. This is the sort of commentary that shows the wonders of Africa. I'm glad you are the type of person who could be overwhelmed by Africa's charms despite the state you were in.

Looking forward to more.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Sorry for not posting quickly...

Getting back to work has been very challenging... I didn't expcect to be so busy...

Short story:

I had the most amazing trip-ever.
I got engaged to the love of my life on this trip.
We are going on a Micato safari for our honeymoon next year.

I promise to complete our trip report... soon!
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

One more thing: Micato's service in Nairobi really was upsetting... but every other place we went was TOP NOTCH.

I felt badly posting the beginning... because I truly think the staff at Micato is the best.

The only really big problem we had was the emergency number not working- and I'm fairly certain- according to micato- is that this has been fixed.

More to come soon..........
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 06:08 PM

Congrats on your engagement.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 07:30 PM

Happy to hear the rest of your trip was the best you've been on. Sure there are glitches, but you shouldn't be abused for something out of your control! Congrats on the engagement and can't wait to read more!