Trip report - Kenya

Oct 7th, 2002, 05:03 PM
dcp

Trip report - Kenya

Just got back from a 2 week trip to Kenya. While I loved most of the country, Nairobi is a hell hole! The best advice I could give would be to get out of Nairobi as fast as humanly possible (although the Carnivore restaurant is pretty cool). We spent a week in and around the Masai Mara and loved every minute of it. We stayed at the Masai Mara Sopa Lodge and would give it fairly high marks. The food was very good and the view from the pool is absolutely spectacular. On our game drives we saw lions, elephants, giraffes, cheetahs, hippos, and a host of other exotic animals and birds. One day we drove all the way to the Tanzania Border and witnessed the tail end (pun intended) the Wilda Beast (sp?) migration. We spent the rest of our stay near Mount Kenya at an old British sportsman club in Nanyuki. One day we went to a Masai Village and actually saw the Masai perform some of their ritual dances (not the stuff you see at the resorts). That was one of the coolest things I've ever witnessed! We also visited Thompson Falls (very nice) and got our picture taken on the equator. We really enjoyed our trip but am still feeling jet lag from the very long trip it is from Kenya to the midwest! Jambo

Oct 8th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Thyra

Hi dcp, glad you had such a great trip.Did you take an organized safari and if so what company. We were in Kenya last April and it truly was the trip of a lifetime. Can't say I agree on your assessment of Nairobi, but then we live in Los Angeles, so maybe that explains it...lol.I am very glad you had such a terrific trip. Jambo Sana!!

Oct 8th, 2002, 06:22 PM
dcp

I actually went on a mission awareness trip with the Christian Foundation For Children & Aging (CFCA). They currently sponsor nearly 240,000 children and aged persons in approximately 35 countries. Anyway, I went to Kenya to see my sponsor child and to see a country I've always dreamed of visiting. I too used to live in LA and can see your point. However, I stand by what I said even though it might sound a little harsh. On our trip we got to see a part of Kenya that the normal tourist would never normally get to visit. With that came good things and bad (seeing lots of poverty). I would highly recommend such a trip and would encourage people to visit their web site at www.cfcausa.org - Asanti Sana!

Search this Thread