Trip report - Lower Zambezi National Park

Old Aug 29th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip report - Lower Zambezi National Park

Well, we’re back from another FANTASTIC trip to Africa!!

This is our third trip, and we've posted our pictures again, at pbase.com/tuthillx2. This one is Africa05.

We stayed only in the Lower Zambezi National Park this time (we've also been to Botswana, Namibia, South Luangwa, and North Luangwa), for 14 nights, and loved every single moment. I've written a 30 page trip report, but it won't fit on here ... so I'll just summarize:

We loved each camp!! Chiawa was our first, and we adored our tent, the elephants in camp, the fantastic singing before dinner, the romantic treatment, the incredible food, the amazing guides. We really really loved it. The camp is elegant AND serious at the same time! If I had to choose one camp to return to, this will be it.

However, Chongwe was next, and we loved that camp too! We have nothing but lovely comments about this camp, and really felt at home here. It is bigger than Chiawa, so there were many more people around, but they tried just as hard to make our stay as wonderful as possible ... and succeeded. In fact, it was sort of fun to have large groups now and then, as we could all stand around having a beer, and talk about the great experiences we were having.

The next camp we stayed at was Sausage Tree, and although this was sumptuous, and the managers were wonderful, and the tents are incredible, there was just a slight lack of "soul" to the place. I couldn't really put my finger on it ... but there was just some really DEEP connection that we felt with Chiawa, and even Chongwe, that we didn't feel here.

Our final camp was Old Mondoro, and we truly loved it. It's so wonderful to visit a real bush camp ... intimate and low-key, and yet with elephants walking into camp, and romantic candle lit dinners by the side of the river. Fantastic tents, guides, etc.

I'm not very good about posting messages, so I may not remember to check back here ... do send a question to our photo website if you have any.

Cynthia

Old Aug 30th, 2005, 01:19 AM

Welcome back Cynthia and thanks for sharing... will head over to pbase to view the photos later.

I'd love to read the 30 page trip report - you could post it in sections with subsequent sections posted as replies to the original section - if you're willing...
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 06:12 AM

Cynthia~ All I can say is WOW. And thank you for posting such wonderful photos. I am in the process of planning my first trip to Africa and your pictures really give me a feel for what Zambia and the camps are like. I have to add that I am utterly touched that you came to Nebraska to see "our" cranes. Are they not just wonderful to watch?! I may have some questions for you if you don't mind. Could you e-mail me at sharonloud19602003 with your e-mail information? I would really appreciate it. Thanks again for the wonderful report and photos!
Sharon
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments, and we've put the entire trip report (plus our trip reports from our previous two trips to Africa) ON our pbase site! We just figured out how to do that last night. We've got other stories to put on there, later, too (such as a story about how we LOVED "your" cranes!!!). Sharon, I'll try to figure out how to email you ...
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 07:09 AM

Cynthia - Sorry - too much caffeine this morning. That should be [email protected]!
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 07:22 AM

What a gorgeous trip! and wonderful photos! Thanks for posting them. I think our next safari may be to Zambia. That looks really cool, and I like being on the river like that.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 08:00 AM

Great pics, thank you!

I really like how many you have of the two of you - we're really bad at doing that so most of our still photos include neither or just one of us.

Wow to the red-throated twinspot birds - never seen those but now I definitely want to - sooo pretty!

That bat photo is really cool too - you were brave to go inside the tree hollow to see these though! I too love baobabs - you have some great photos of these.

Oooh and what about that goliath heron taking off? Amazing!

Kudos on getting a photo of a porcupine - we saw a couple of on our last trip but didn't get pictures of them.

I also love the idea of the moon pics - the night sky is such a big part of the memories isn't it?

Thanks again for sharing these...
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 08:00 AM

GREAT pictures! Thanks for sharing! I'll be there in 7 short weeks!!!
Dennis
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 08:41 AM

Cynthia - fantastic photos, thank you for sharing. I'm eager to read the trip report, but I need to wait until I have more time. Thank you, thank you....
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 08:46 AM

Great photos - thanks for sharing. I'll be reading your journal next.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 08:59 AM

Cynthia,

What a wonderdul trip you had..Belated Anniversary & BD wishes.
Thanks for taking the time to write out your thoughts and memories...I felt like I was right thre with you!
BTW, I did not see the ellie either as we left your tent, and yes I was running too!
Incredible photos as well...
All the best,
Brenda